Stuck on this one electric field problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving calculating the electric field of a charge using the equation E=k*Q/r^2. The solution involves using trigonometry and simplifying the equation to find the final answer. The correct method is to draw a right-angled triangle with length L/2 for the value of r.
vitaebellaa

Homework Statement

f05du8.png

Homework Equations

E=k*Q/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ey=E1sin30 + E2sin30 + E3; where E1=E2 (I'm denoting the 2 bottom charges as E1,E2, the negative as E3)
Ex=E1cos30 - E2cos30, this cancels.
from E=k*Q/r^2
I calculated r^2 to be L^4/4 (don't know if this is right... trig. and I haven't really been on speaking terms since high school)
since sin30=1/2... E1(1/2) + E2(1/2) just equal (1)E1; E1=k*Q/(L^4/4)
I guess from there I would have to add the y component of E3, which would be k*Q/(L^2/4)
Is my math/'plan of attack' okay so far? Is the next step simply adding E1 + E3 and simplifying?

THANK YOU! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
hi vitaebellaa! :smile:

yes that's the correct method (obviously, you meant L2 not L4) …

for r, draw a right-angled triangle with length L/2 :wink:

Related to Stuck on this one electric field problem

1. Why am I having trouble solving this electric field problem?

Electric field problems can be challenging because they involve complex mathematical concepts and require a solid understanding of the underlying principles. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem statement, identify the given information and the unknowns, and apply the appropriate equations and principles.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for electric field problems?

Practice is key when it comes to solving electric field problems. Start by reviewing the fundamental principles and equations, and then try solving a variety of problems with different scenarios and levels of difficulty. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving electric field problems?

One common mistake is not paying attention to the units of the given values and the final answer. It is important to use consistent units and to convert them if necessary. Another mistake is not considering the direction of the electric field, which can affect the calculations and the final answer. Additionally, it is important to double-check all calculations and make sure they are accurate.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve electric field problems?

Yes, a calculator can be very helpful when solving electric field problems. However, it is important to use a calculator that is capable of handling complex mathematical operations and to use it correctly. Make sure to input the correct values and use the correct order of operations to get an accurate answer.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric field problems?

Electric field problems have many practical applications, such as in designing and analyzing electronic circuits, calculating the force on charged particles in an electric field, and determining the electric potential energy of a system. They are also important in understanding the behavior of lightning, electric motors, and other electrical phenomena in nature and technology.