Stuck on last part of class derivation (proof) K-G Eqn

In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between momentum and frequencies in the context of the K-G equation and the wave function. The mentor provided a formula for this relationship, which was then recognized as being the same as a previous formula using DeBroglie relations.
rwooduk
Mentor note: fixed formulas so they get displayed properly

If we take the K-G eqn and the following term for the wave function

$$( \partial^2 + \frac{m^{2}c^{2}}{\hbar^{2}})\Psi =0
\\\\\Psi = Re^{-i\omega t + i k_{i}x_{i}}$$We worked through to this ##\hbar \omega = \pm \sqrt{\hbar^{2} c^{2}k_{i}k_{i}+ m^{2}c^{4}}## which is fine and recognisable, but I can't get the ##\hbar^{2} c^{2}k_{i}k_{i}## term to equal the familiar ##\rho^{2}c^{2}##. I'm assuming it's obvious and that's why he didnt show it, but I'm a bit stuck.

Any help would be appreciated.

edit

he also did something similar here:

MB063El.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your questions (and I didn't see something similar in the notes you uploaded)
Momentum and frequencies are related via [itex]p = \hbar k[/itex]...you can see this fast with some dimensional analysis.

Likes rwooduk
ChrisVer said:
I don't understand your questions (and I didn't see something similar in the notes you uploaded)
Momentum and frequencies are related via [itex]p = \hbar k[/itex]

Sorry, I'm trying to show that this $$\hbar \omega = \pm \sqrt{\hbar^{2} c^{2}k_{i}k_{i}+ m^{2}c^{4}} $$ is the same as this:

emcpc.gif

edit which you have just solved, sorry and thanks!

Yup it is... use the DeBroglie relations: [itex]E= \hbar \omega[/itex] and [itex]p= \hbar k[/itex]
since your wave function is expressed in terms of frequency/wavenumber instead of energy/momenta.

Likes rwooduk

Related to Stuck on last part of class derivation (proof) K-G Eqn

1. What is the K-G equation and what is its significance in science?

The K-G equation, also known as the Klein-Gordon equation, is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of a massive, spinless particle in the quantum field theory. It is significant in science because it combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity, and is used to study the behavior of particles at high speeds and energies.

2. How is the K-G equation derived and what are the key steps in the proof?

The K-G equation is derived by applying the Dirac equation to a scalar field. The key steps in the proof include solving the Dirac equation for a scalar field, using the Klein-Gordon equation to eliminate the spinor component, and then rearranging the resulting equation to obtain the K-G equation.

3. What are the assumptions made in the derivation of the K-G equation?

The derivation of the K-G equation assumes that the particle is massive, spinless, and free from any external forces. It also assumes that the particle is described by a scalar field, which is a function of both space and time.

4. What are some applications of the K-G equation in science?

The K-G equation has many applications in science, particularly in the fields of particle physics, quantum mechanics, and special relativity. It is used to study the behavior of particles in high-energy accelerators, to describe the behavior of particles in extreme environments such as black holes, and to develop theories on the fundamental nature of matter and energy.

5. Are there any limitations or criticisms of the K-G equation?

One limitation of the K-G equation is that it only describes spinless particles, and therefore cannot be used to study particles with spin. It also has been criticized for not being a fully self-consistent equation, as it relies on the Dirac equation for its derivation. However, it remains a valuable tool in understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds and energies.