Stuck on Laplace Transform of Odd Trig Function

In summary, the conversation was about solving a Laplace transform for [cos(t)]^3. The problem was solved by using the cosine addition formula and a half-angle formula. The final solution for the Laplace transform was cos(3t)/4 + 3cos(t)/4.
Underhill
Hey guys!

I'm stuck on a Laplace transform. Following is the problematic function:

[cos(t)]^3

Seems simple, but I'm having issues doing the Laplace transform on odd trigonometric functions. When I use the half-angle formula, I get this, which I can't seem to solve:

1/2cos(t) + 1/2cos(t)*cos(2t)

How do I get this into a form on which I can perform a Laplace transform?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the cosine addition formula with A = 2t and B = t to obtain an identity which involves (cos t)^3

[tex]cos(3t)= cos(2t)cos(t)- sin(2t)sin(t)= (cos^2(t)- sin^2(t))cos(t)- (2sin(t)cos(t))sin(t)[/tex]
[tex]= cos^3(t)- sin^2(t)cos(t)- 2sin^2(t)cos(t)= cos^3(t)- 3(1- cos^2(t))cos(t)[/tex]
[tex]= 4cos^3(t)- 3cos(t)[/tex]

So [itex]cos^3(t)= cos(3t)/4+ 3cos(t)/4[/itex].

Thanks both of you for your help.

I eventually solved it by using a half-angle formula on [cos(t)]^2, and then using a trig product formula on the resulting expression. I got the same answer as HallsofIvy.

Thanks again, guys!

Hi there,

I understand your frustration with the Laplace transform of odd trigonometric functions. It can be tricky to solve, but there are a few steps you can take to simplify the function and make it easier to transform.

First, let's rewrite the function using the double-angle formula for cosine:

[cos(t)]^3 = [cos(t)]^2 * cos(t) = (1 - sin^2(t)) * cos(t)

Next, we can use the substitution u = sin(t) to simplify the function even further:

(1 - u^2) * √(1 - u^2)

Now, we can use the Laplace transform of the square root function, which is 1/s^2, to transform the second term:

(1 - u^2) * √(1 - u^2) = (1 - u^2) * 1/s^2 = 1/s^2 - u^2/s^2

Finally, we can use the Laplace transform of the product of two functions to transform the remaining terms:

L{(1 - u^2) * cos(t)} = L{1/s^2} - L{u^2/s^2} = 1/s^2 - 1/4s^2 = 3/4s^2

Therefore, the Laplace transform of [cos(t)]^3 is:

L{[cos(t)]^3} = 3/4s^2

I hope this helps you solve your Laplace transform. Remember to always simplify the function as much as possible before applying the transform and to use the appropriate Laplace transform rules for each term.

Best of luck with your studies!

Related to Stuck on Laplace Transform of Odd Trig Function

1. What is a Laplace Transform?

A Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function in the time domain into a function in the frequency domain. It is commonly used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. What is an odd trigonometric function?

An odd trigonometric function is a function that satisfies the property f(-x) = -f(x) for all values of x. In other words, if you reflect the graph of an odd trigonometric function across the y-axis, it will look exactly the same as the original graph, but flipped upside down.

3. What is the Laplace Transform of an odd trigonometric function?

The Laplace Transform of an odd trigonometric function can be found using the formula L{f(t)} = 2/(s^2+1) * L{f'(t)}, where L{f(t)} represents the Laplace Transform of the given function and L{f'(t)} represents the Laplace Transform of the derivative of the function.

4. How do I use the Laplace Transform to solve for the inverse of an odd trigonometric function?

To find the inverse of an odd trigonometric function, you can use the property that the inverse Laplace Transform of L{f(t)} = sF(s), where F(s) is the Laplace Transform of the function. You can also use tables or software to find the inverse Laplace Transform.

5. What are some real-life applications of Laplace Transform of odd trigonometric functions?

The Laplace Transform of odd trigonometric functions is used in various fields, such as electrical engineering, control systems, and signal processing. It is used to analyze and solve problems related to oscillatory systems, circuits, and filters. It also has applications in image and sound processing, as well as in the study of physical phenomena like heat transfer and fluid dynamics.