Stuck on how to calculate the angle of lip on fishing lure

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of drag force and lift force acting on a fishing lure with a lip and an angled lip. The data used in the calculation includes water velocity, acceleration, volume and density, as well as the mass and weight of the lure. The drag and lift forces are calculated using the equations F=ma and Lift + Fb - W + F sin 63 = 0, with a correction made for the lift force due to the downward angle of the lure. Some errors in the equations are noted and corrections are requested from other members. The calculated values for drag and lift forces are 0.4562 N and -0.895 N, respectively, with corresponding drag and lift coefficients of 0.
mizisyafie

Homework Statement

Hello friend, i really stuck on how to calculate this thing. I have to find the drag force and lift force acting on fishing lure. By the way, the fishing lure has lip and there an angle on the lip.I am sorry my english is bad but i hope you can understand what i am trying to tell you guys. I am also attached a free body diagram so guys you can take a look to make better understand.

I simulated the fishing lure on Ansys and run in fluid of water. The data as below.

Water velocity = 0.59 m/s
Acceleration, a = 0.02 m/s^2
Volume of water = 0.050348 m^3
Water Density = 998.2 kg/m^3

mass of fishing lure =0.01820 kg
Weight of fishing lure = mg = 0.1785 N
Volume of fishing lure = 0.000018196 m^3
wetted area = 0.00452120 m^2
Buoyancy Force = 0.1782 N
Lip angle (as in free body diagram ) = 63°

Homework Equations

Ok friend, here is my calculation. I use mass of water that flow and hit the fishing lure.

For x component.

F=ma=Drag

F cos 63 = Drag

ma cos 63 = Drag

mass of water = density x (volume of water - volume of lure)

so, mass of water = ( 998.2 )(0.050348 - 0.000018196 ) = 50.2392

So, (50.2392)( 0.02) cos 63 = 0.4562 N

So, the drag force i got is 0.4562.

Using this Cd = Drag / 0.5 p A V^2 = 0.58

For y-component

Lift + Fb - W + F sin 63 = 0

W - Fb- F sin 63 = Lift

0.1785 - 0.1782 - (998.2)(0.050348 - 0.000018196 ) sin 63 = Lift

so, the lift force = - 0.895 ( - sign show the lift acting downward as the lure will dive )

Using this CL = lift / 0.5 p A V^2 = -1.14

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is, i think something wrong on my equation in x component and y component especially on cos and sin...guys, can you correct me pleasezzz..

Attachments

• how to calculate.PNG
    how to calculate.PNG
    8.4 KB · Views: 584
Physics news on Phys.org
For x component.F=ma=DragF cos 63 = Dragma cos 63 = Dragmass of water = density x (volume of water - volume of lure)so, mass of water = ( 998.2 )(0.050348 - 0.000018196 ) = 50.2392So, (50.2392)( 0.02) cos 63 = 0.4562 NSo, the drag force i got is 0.4562.Using this Cd = Drag / 0.5 p A V^2 = 0.58For y-componentLift + Fb - W + F sin 63 = 0W - Fb- F sin 63 = Lift0.1785 - 0.1782 - (998.2)(0.050348 - 0.000018196 ) sin 63 = Liftso, the lift force = - 0.895 ( - sign show the lift acting downward as the lure will dive )Using this CL = lift / 0.5 p A V^2 = -1.14

Related to Stuck on how to calculate the angle of lip on fishing lure

What is the angle of lip on a fishing lure?

The angle of lip on a fishing lure refers to the angle at which the lip of the lure is positioned in relation to the body of the lure. This angle can greatly impact the movement and action of the lure in the water.

Why is it important to calculate the angle of lip on a fishing lure?

Calculating the angle of lip on a fishing lure is important because it can affect the type of fish that will be attracted to the lure, as well as the movement and action of the lure in the water. It can also help determine the best techniques for using the lure.

How do you calculate the angle of lip on a fishing lure?

The angle of lip on a fishing lure can be calculated by measuring the distance from the front of the lure to the tip of the lip, and then dividing that by the length of the lip. This will give you the angle of the lip in degrees.

What factors can affect the angle of lip on a fishing lure?

There are several factors that can affect the angle of lip on a fishing lure, including the shape and size of the lip, the type of material the lip is made of, and the overall design of the lure. The depth and speed of the water can also impact the angle of the lip.

How can I adjust the angle of lip on a fishing lure?

The angle of lip on a fishing lure can be adjusted by bending or trimming the lip to achieve the desired angle. Some lures also come with adjustable lips that can be rotated to different angles. Experimentation and observation can also help determine the best angle for a specific lure and fishing scenario.