Stuck on AP Physics. Need Help with Sines or Cosines

In summary, sines and cosines are both trigonometric functions commonly used in AP Physics. Sines represent the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, while cosines represent the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse. The choice between using sines or cosines in a problem depends on the given information. To solve for sines or cosines, you will need to use trigonometric ratios and given information. Common mistakes to avoid include not using the appropriate trigonometric ratio and using the inverse function instead of the regular function. A calculator can be used for trigonometric calculations, but it is important to ensure it is in the correct angle mode.
doughrtyHT
I am doing a sort of independent study of AP physics and I ran across a question that I am pretty sure requires either the law of sines or the law of cosines but I can't remember them, can anyone help me out?
Thanks,
HT

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe you could post the problem?...by any chance?...so maybe we could help you?...just maybe?

never mind I got them somewhere else

Related to Stuck on AP Physics. Need Help with Sines or Cosines

1. What is the difference between sines and cosines in AP Physics?

Sines and cosines are both trigonometric functions that are commonly used in AP Physics. The main difference between them is that sines represent the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle, while cosines represent the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse.

2. When should I use sines or cosines in AP Physics problems?

The choice between using sines or cosines in AP Physics problems depends on the information given in the problem. If you are given the opposite and hypotenuse sides, you should use sines. If you are given the adjacent and hypotenuse sides, you should use cosines.

3. How do I solve for sines or cosines in AP Physics?

To solve for sines or cosines in AP Physics, you will need to use the trigonometric ratios and the given information. First, identify the known sides and angles in the problem. Then, use the appropriate trigonometric ratio (sine or cosine) to set up an equation and solve for the unknown side or angle.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using sines and cosines in AP Physics?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using sines and cosines in AP Physics include forgetting to use the appropriate trigonometric ratio, not labeling the sides and angles correctly, and using the inverse trigonometric function instead of the regular trigonometric function.

5. Can I use a calculator to help me with sines and cosines in AP Physics?

Yes, you can use a calculator to help you with sines and cosines in AP Physics. Most scientific calculators have specific buttons for sine and cosine functions, making it easier to solve for these values. However, it is important to make sure your calculator is in the correct angle mode (degrees or radians) before using it for trigonometric calculations.