Stuck on a trigonometric identity proof....

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical proof involving the expression $\frac{1 -\cos A}{1 + \cos A} = (\cot A - \csc A)^2$. One approach suggested is to change the cotangent and cosecant on the right side to sine and cosine, and another approach involves expanding the left side and using trigonometric identities. The person asking for help eventually figures out the proof with the help of others.
Riwaj
$\frac{1 -\cos A}{1 + \cos A} = (\cot A - \csc A)^2$

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: please prove it i am stuck ...

Riwaj said:
$\frac{1 -\cos A}{1 + \cos A} = (\cot A - \csc A)^2$
Hi Riwaj,

What did yo try so far ?

Re: please prove it i am stuck ...

My approach would be to change the cosecant and cotangent on the right side to sine and cosine, then do the indicated operations on the right.

Here's the start of another approach:

$$\frac{1 - \cos x}{1 + \cos x} \cdot \frac{1 - \cos x}{1 - \cos x} = \frac{1 - 2\cos x + \cos^2 x}{\sin^2 x}$$

oh ... thank you everyone i got it now

Related to Stuck on a trigonometric identity proof....

1. What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is a mathematical equation that expresses a relationship between different trigonometric functions. It is true for all possible values of the variables involved.

2. How do I know if I am stuck on a trigonometric identity proof?

If you have been working on a proof involving trigonometric functions and have reached a point where you are unable to progress or are unsure of how to proceed, you may be stuck on a trigonometric identity proof.

3. What steps should I take if I am stuck on a trigonometric identity proof?

The first step is to carefully review the given information and the steps you have taken so far. Then, try using different trigonometric identities or algebraic manipulations to simplify the equation. If you are still stuck, it may be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.

4. Are there any common mistakes students make when trying to prove trigonometric identities?

Some common mistakes include using incorrect identities, not simplifying the equation enough, and making algebraic errors. It is also important to remember to work with one side of the equation at a time and to use the same identities and manipulations on both sides.

5. How can I improve my skills in proving trigonometric identities?

Practice is key when it comes to mastering trigonometric identities. Make sure to understand the fundamentals and memorize the common identities. It can also be helpful to work through examples and seek assistance when needed. With consistent effort, you can improve your skills in proving trigonometric identities.