Stuck on a single loop circuit, two emfs and resistor

In summary: The equation you are trying to solve has 3 solutions, but only one of them is relevant to the question at hand. The other two solutions are c = 12v or c = -12v. But those don't have anything to do with the question at hand. The answer to the question is whichever battery is connected to E1 has a terminal-to-terminal potential difference of 12v.
scrilla103

Homework Statement

ε[1]=12v
internal resistance[1]=.016Ω
ε[2]=12v
internal resistance[2]=.012Ω

some unknown resistance 'R' in a stand alone resistor.

a) what value of 'R' will make the terminal-to-terminal potential difference of one of the batteries zero?
b) which battery would it be?
(picture below shows circuit)

Homework Equations

R = V/i

The Attempt at a Solution

I put together this equation:
ε[2] - ir[2] + ε - ir[1] - iR = 0
and continued to simplify to this:
i(.028 + R) = 24
The problem is I don't have a way to find 'i'...
Any ideas? This problem is marked as a three dot (harder difficulty) in my book, so I'm guessing there's an assumption I'm missing.

Thanks in advance,
Caleb

Attachments

• c0ca5e78-405e-408e-9b49-bd53bfecabd5.gif
    c0ca5e78-405e-408e-9b49-bd53bfecabd5.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 536
Physics news on Phys.org
What would short circuit current be, i.e. R = 0?

Why solve for i?

What is the equation for voltage across E1 to be zero? E2?

Could you come up with 2 equations with 2 unknowns (i and R) for either of those?

Alright, I think I got it.

I set V1 = ε1 - ir1 = 0
and got ε1 = ir1
and also
ε2 = ir2

Subbing 'i' into the equation I had simplified to above produces, for emf #1, I get R to equal .004Ω (which is what the back of the book says). Doing the same for emf #2, I get -.004Ω.

My only question now is about the negative. Doesn't a negative value on a resistor mean it encourages the flow of charge? Wouldn't that mean that the battery set to zero potential could be either one, just depending on the sign of R? (The book says battery one is the answer to part b.)

Thanks,
Caleb

For you, there is no such thing as a negative resistor, certainly not a dc negative resistor. So your only valid solution is for E1.

You've run into this sort of thing many times before, even in high school. For example, Pythagoras says c^2 = a^2 + b^2. But that equation has two solutions for c, and you know one of them is nonsensical.

Related to Stuck on a single loop circuit, two emfs and resistor

1. What is a single loop circuit?

A single loop circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the current flows in one continuous loop, starting and ending at the same point. This means that all components in the circuit are connected in a single path.

2. What are EMFs?

EMF stands for electromotive force, which is the voltage produced by a source of electrical energy, such as a battery or generator. EMFs are measured in volts (V) and are responsible for driving the flow of current in a circuit.

3. How do two EMFs affect a circuit?

When two EMFs are present in a circuit, the total voltage is equal to the sum of the individual EMFs. This can either increase or decrease the overall voltage in the circuit, depending on the direction of the EMFs and their magnitudes.

4. What role does a resistor play in a circuit with two EMFs?

A resistor is a component in a circuit that restricts the flow of current. In a circuit with two EMFs, a resistor can be used to control and balance the flow of current, as well as regulate the overall voltage in the circuit.

5. How can I calculate the current and voltage in a circuit with two EMFs and a resistor?

To calculate the current in a circuit with two EMFs and a resistor, you can use Ohm's Law (I = V/R) where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance of the resistor. The voltage across each component can be calculated using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop circuit is equal to zero.