Stuck in the Sent Items PM folder

• Thread starter tiny-tim
  • Start date
In summary, there is an issue with the Sent Items folder in the Private Messages section of the User Control Panel where all sent messages are stuck and cannot be moved to other folders. This is a new behavior after the upgrade and it is not possible to choose a folder when creating a new message. However, a workaround is to send a "blind copy" of the message to oneself, which can then be moved to other folders. This only became apparent after three years of experimentation and giving up.
tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
… stuck in the Sent Items PM folder

In User Control Panel > Private Messages > Sent Items, the button at the bottom of the page has no "Move to folder …" option, even though all the other folders do have it.

And there's no option to choose a folder when creating a new PM.

So all sent PMs are stuck in the Sent Items folder. :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org

Interesting. I never noticed that before. Is this new, post-upgrade behavior?

I never try moving them anywhere other than deleting, so have never noticed this myself.

Moonbear said:
I never try moving them anywhere other than deleting, so have never noticed this myself.
Me neither.

I periodically save sent and received PMs as html and csv files, and individually, then deleted them.

I think they still count against a quota limit no matter where stored, but I could be wrong.

tiny-tim said:
So all sent PMs are stuck in the Sent Items folder. :cry:

oooh, I've just discovered that one can send private messages to oneself! :-p

sooo … the way to avoid the Sent Items folder problem is to send a "blind copy" (click "BCC") to oneself …

that copy will appear in the Inbox folder, from where it can be moved to any other folder, and it has the correct recipient, time, etc :smile:

So three years of experimenting finally paid off, eh? :wink:

he he :biggrin:

no, three years of giving up :rolleyes:, and finally wondering what the BCC link did! :blushing:

Related to Stuck in the Sent Items PM folder

1. What does it mean to be "Stuck in the Sent Items PM folder"?

"Stuck in the Sent Items PM folder" refers to a situation where an email or message is not being delivered to the intended recipient and remains in the sender's "Sent Items" folder.

2. Why does this happen?

This can happen due to various reasons such as technical issues with the email server, incorrect email address, or the message being blocked by the recipient's spam filter.

3. How can I fix this issue?

First, double check the email address of the recipient to ensure it is correct. If the issue persists, try sending the message from a different email account or platform. If the problem continues, contact your email provider for assistance.

4. Is there a way to prevent this from happening in the future?

To prevent messages from getting stuck in the Sent Items PM folder, make sure to regularly update your email software and check for any spam filters that may be blocking the message. Additionally, double check the recipient's email address before sending the message.

5. Can this issue occur with any type of message?

Yes, this issue can occur with any type of message, whether it's a regular email, a private message on a social media platform, or a direct message on a messaging app. It is important to regularly check your Sent Items folder to ensure all messages have been successfully delivered.