Stuck I can't find the E field outside cylinder, but inside i found

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two long, charged, thin-walled, concentric cylinders with specific radii and charge per unit length. The conversation goes on to solve for the magnitude and direction of the electric field at two different radial distances using different methods, including Gauss' Law. Eventually, the correct approach is determined to be adding the charges from both cylinders and using the equation E = \delta/2PIEor to solve for the electric field.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone. I'm so close to getting this problem done but i can't get the last part right!
THe problem is the following:
Two long, charged, thin-walled, concentric cylinders have radii of 3.0 and 6.0 cm. The charge per unit length is 4.9 10- 6 C/m on the inner shell and -8.5 10-6 C/m on the outer shell.

(a) Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field at radial distance r = 4.8 cm from the common central axis. (Take radially outward to be positive.)

I found this by using: E = [tex]\delta[/tex]/2PIEor;
E = (4.9E-6)/(2PIEo(.048m) = 1835826.8 N/C

(b) Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field at r = 8.5 cm, using the same sign convention.

I can't seem to figure this part out. I tr4eid doing the following:
I added up the E field @ 3.0cm and @ 6.0cm to get 389644.9 but didn't know what do it with it from there. So i tried, just using the same method as above in part (a) but insteed of using .048m i used .085m and i got -1798361 N/C which was wrong. Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your knowledge in this field?

It seems very easy to me to just solve this problem by using Gauss' Law. Ever heard of that?

Regards...Cliowa

FLux = Q/Eo ? I already tried that and FLux = EA. How would you approach it using Gauss's Law?

Solve part b exactly as you solved part a. The only change is that you must use the total charge per unit length contained within the radius. (Add the charge from both cylinders.)

the problem I'm having is, how do you figure out the charge, when all your given is the Electrical field? Also am I just finding the charge @ 3cm and the charge @ 6cm, then adding them together, then using that charge in the equation -> E = /2PIEor;
But in that equation there is no charge variable.

mr_coffee said:
the problem I'm having is, how do you figure out the charge, when all your given is the Electrical field?
You are given the charge per unit length on each cylinder, not the electric field; the electric field is what you are asked to find.

Also am I just finding the charge @ 3cm and the charge @ 6cm, then adding them together, then using that charge in the equation -> E = /2PIEor;
But in that equation there is no charge variable.
Yes, add the charges. That equation has no charge because you left it out! (Refer to your first post.)

Awesome, thanks agan Doc! worked great! :smile:

Related to Stuck I can't find the E field outside cylinder, but inside i found

1. How do you calculate the electric field outside a cylinder?

The electric field outside a cylinder can be calculated by using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the cylinder, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder to the point where the electric field is being measured.

2. Why is it difficult to find the electric field outside a cylinder?

It can be difficult to find the electric field outside a cylinder because it depends on the charge distribution of the cylinder, which can be complex. Additionally, the electric field may vary at different points outside the cylinder, making it difficult to determine a single value.

3. Is the electric field outside a cylinder always zero?

No, the electric field outside a cylinder is not always zero. It depends on the charge distribution and the distance from the cylinder. If the cylinder has a non-uniform charge distribution, the electric field outside the cylinder may not be zero.

4. How does the electric field inside a cylinder compare to the outside field?

The electric field inside a cylinder is typically stronger than the outside field. This is because the electric field inside a charged object is proportional to the charge density, which is higher inside the cylinder compared to the outside.

5. Can you use Gauss' Law to find the electric field outside a cylinder?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be used to find the electric field outside a cylinder. This law states that the flux of the electric field through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space. By choosing a Gaussian surface that encloses the cylinder, the electric field outside the cylinder can be calculated using this law.