Struggling with first year college (maths/physics)

In summary: You might be able to get help from a tutor, or look into online resources.Staying in the class to avoid losing what you call the inscription fee might be a false economy -- getting a failing grade for the class. If your background in mathematics isn't where it needs to be, you're wasting your time taking the class. You might be able to get help from a tutor, or look into online resources.In summary, Stephen is a new student at college who is having difficulty with physics. He is looking for advice on how to catch up and improve his skills.
Paradox88
Hello comrades, I am a bit silly about this, but i started 1 month ago the first year at college (physics) after 10 years out of any academic course.
When i graduated from high school (a long time ago), i got good grades at pre-calc, but now I am having lots of problems because i feel lost and i can't do the exercises (i got university physics from young and tipler mosca books)
I don't have the sufficient knowledge to handle the problems in the books because of lack of problem solving skills and in major part maths. But I am very patient and I'm willing to do what is needed, i started to refresh my precalc with precalculus simmons, and basic mathematics from lang.
Im looking for some insights on how to handle this, for example which books you recommend to learn derivatives/integrals (im thinking about lang intro book on calculus or thomas calculus, or others) and how to apply it on physics course, also looking for a good book to grasp better solving skills, and i have curiosity if something like lectures on physics from Feynman can be a good idea for a first year i want to increase my inmersion in physics and grasp the concepts well i do it as a personal acomplishment a i don't want to fail since i couldn't study until now. Any sincere tips will be much apreciated.
Kind regards friends.

Physics news on Phys.org
I admire your determination. Getting back into the academic groove after a 10 yr absence has got to be a b****. My advice is for now concentrate on getting your math skills back including lots of problem solving from the math books.

Likes Paradox88
Thank you, and any book suggestion? i want to have a good level of knowledge of maths and also problem solving skills.

Paradox88 said:
But I am very patient and I'm willing to do what is needed, i started to refresh my precalc with precalculus simmons, and basic mathematics from lang.
Im looking for some insights on how to handle this,

If your physics course expects you to already know calculus, you should consider dropping it if you are way behind (and the deadline for dropping a course hasn't passed) It's admirable to do self-study to catch up, but it's also not guaranteed to work in a limited amount of time. If you can afford it, get a tutor - or look for places where you can get free tutoring.

Likes Paradox88 and symbolipoint
Stephen Tashi said:
If your physics course expects you to already know calculus, you should consider dropping it if you are way behind (and the deadline for dropping a course hasn't passed) It's admirable to do self-study to catch up, but it's also not guaranteed to work in a limited amount of time. If you can afford it, get a tutor - or look for places where you can get free tutoring.
Thanks for your response Stephen, but I am from Europe (Spain) and if i drop the inscription fee is lost

Paradox88 said:
Thanks for your response Stephen, but I am from Europe (Spain) and if i drop the inscription fee is lost
Staying in the class to avoid losing what you call the inscription fee might be a false economy -- getting a failing grade for the class. If your background in mathematics isn't where it needs to be, you're wasting your time taking the class.

Related to Struggling with first year college (maths/physics)

1) What are some tips for succeeding in first year college math and physics courses?

Some tips for succeeding in first year college math and physics courses are to attend all lectures and take thorough notes, actively participate in class discussions, practice regularly and seek help from professors or tutors when needed, and form study groups with classmates to review material and solve problems together.

2) How can I overcome my fear of math and physics?

One way to overcome fear of math and physics is to change your mindset and approach towards these subjects. Instead of viewing them as daunting and impossible, try to see them as challenging and rewarding. Also, practice regularly and seek help when needed to build confidence in your abilities.

3) What resources are available to help me with my math and physics courses?

Most colleges offer tutoring services, study groups, and office hours with professors for students struggling with math and physics. Additionally, there are many online resources such as video tutorials, practice problems, and interactive simulations that can help supplement your learning.

4) How can I balance my workload and time effectively in first year college?

It is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively in order to balance your workload in first year college. Make a schedule and stick to it, prioritize assignments and studying based on due dates and difficulty level, and don't be afraid to say no to social activities if they interfere with your academic responsibilities.

5) What are some common mistakes that students make in first year college math and physics courses?

Some common mistakes that students make in first year college math and physics courses include not attending lectures or taking notes, not seeking help when needed, procrastinating on assignments and studying, and not practicing enough. It is important to be proactive and stay on top of your coursework in order to succeed in these challenging courses.