How Do You Calculate the Meeting Point of Two Stones Thrown from a Cliff?

In summary, two stones are thrown simultaneously, one upwards from the base of a cliff and the other downwards from the top of the cliff. Both stones have a speed of 9.0m/s and the cliff has a height of 6.00m. The task is to find the location where the stones cross paths. To solve this problem, the equation x = (Vo)(t) + 1/2(a)(t^2) is used, but two separate equations are needed to find the height of each stone at any time t. Then, the time tc when the stones are at the same height is found and used to determine the desired location above the base of the cliff.
Jordan Jones

Homework Statement

Two stones are thrown simultaneously, one straight upward from the base of a cliff and the other straight downward from the top of the cliff. The height of the cliff is 6.00m. The stones are thrown with the same speed of 9.0m/s. Find the location (above the base of the cliff) of the point where the stones cross paths.

x = 6 m
Vf = 9 m/s
a = -9.8 m/s2 (i think?)

Homework Equations

x = (Vo)(t) + 1/2(a)(t^2) or

Vf^2 = Vo + 2(a)(x) maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking about using x = (Vo)(t) + 1/2(a)(t^2) but it's not working and I can't tell if I'm not using it correctly or it's just not the right equation.

6 = (0 m/s)(t) + 1/2(-9.8m/s^2)(t^2)
-1.22 = t^2

This obviously isn't going in the right direction.

Could anyone help me get started? I've understood most of the other free-fall problems in my book but the logic or strategy needed here is really confusing me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jordan Jones said:
was thinking about using x = (Vo)(t) + 1/2(a)(t^2) but it's not working and I can't tell if I'm not using it correctly or it's just not the right equation.
This is the right equation to use, but you need to write two separate equations giving the height of each stone above ground at any time t. Then you need to say that there is a specific time tc at which the stones are at the same height. Solve for the time tc and then use it in either equation to find the desired height.

What is free-fall?

Free-fall refers to the motion of an object in a gravitational field where the only force acting on the object is gravity. In this state, the object is accelerating towards the ground at a constant rate of 9.8 m/s².

What is the formula for calculating free-fall?

The formula for calculating free-fall is d = (1/2)gt², where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time elapsed.

How do air resistance and mass affect free-fall?

Air resistance and mass both affect free-fall. Air resistance can slow down the acceleration of an object, while mass has no effect on the acceleration but does affect the force of impact when the object reaches the ground.

What are some real-life examples of free-fall?

Some real-life examples of free-fall include objects falling from a height, skydiving, and bungee jumping. In all of these cases, the objects are in a state of free-fall until they reach a point where other forces, such as air resistance or a bungee cord, come into play.

How can free-fall be used in scientific experiments?

Free-fall can be used in scientific experiments to study the effects of gravity on different objects. By dropping objects from different heights and measuring their time in free-fall, scientists can gather data on the acceleration due to gravity and test theories related to gravity and motion.