Struggling to rearrange a formula to find c

In summary, rearranging the formula Vc = Vs (1 -e -t/rc) to find c involves dividing Vc by Vs, taking the log of both sides, and replacing x with -t/rc to simplify the right side.
leejohnson222
Homework Statement
Vc = Vs ( 1 -e -t/rc )
i can plug the numbers in to a point but im unsure about rearranging to create the new formula to find c
Relevant Equations
Vc = 1v Vs = 22v t= 3
I am trying to get to grips with rearranging this formula to find c
Vc = Vs ( 1 -e -t/rc )
i can plug the numbers in to a point but im unsure about rearranging to create the new formula

Physics news on Phys.org
leejohnson222 said:
Homework Statement:: Vc = Vs ( 1 -e -t/rc )
i can plug the numbers in to a point but im unsure about rearranging to create the new formula
Relevant Equations:: Vc = 1v Vs = 22v t= 3

I am trying to get to grips with rearranging this formula to find T
Vc = Vs ( 1 -e -t/rc )
I assume you mean ##V_c = V_s ( 1 -e ^{-\frac t{rc}} ) ##.
If you were to calculate Vc from it you would start by dividing t by r and c, and finish by multiplying the (evaluated) term in parentheses by Vs.
Just reverse that sequence. Divide Vc by Vs etc.

yes i did mean that, so would it be 1- Vc/Vs = e - t/rc ? i need to understand each step so i can apply this to other problems.

leejohnson222 said:
yes i did mean that, so would it be 1- Vc/Vs = e - t/rc ?
Yes, but keep going. How do you 'undo' the exponentiation?

is this where log comes in ? and you need to do apply log to both sides of the equation?

leejohnson222 said:
is this where log comes in ? and you need to do apply log to both sides of the equation?
Yes, you must always do the same thing to each side of an equation if you want to be sure it is still true.

ok this is where i am a little stuck in writing this out, from 1 - vc/vs = e - t/rc
i understand i need to undo e but its expressing it and breaking down the formula again
log e 1 - vc/vs log e - t/rc that cant be correct

leejohnson222 said:
ok this is where i am a little stuck in writing this out, from 1 - vc/vs = e - t/rc
i understand i need to undo e but its expressing it and breaking down the formula again
You put "log e" in front on the left but only "log" in front on the right.
You need to be more exact about how you write equations.
You had ##1 - v_c/v_s = e ^{- t/rc}##.

Taking logs both sides, you need parentheses :
##\ln(1 - v_c/v_s) = \ln(e ^{- t/rc})##.
Note that ln () means log to the base e.
If LaTeX is beyond you, at least use subscripts and superscripts. These are the X1 and X1 buttons.

What is ##\ln(e^x)##?

ok sure i see what you mean i think, are you asking me to rearrange this formula, i dont know how to write these correctly on this forum?

is this loge (e^x)=x ? i think im getting mixed up, i am not sure where to take both sides of this equation now or how to translate the numbers in

Yes, ##\log_e(e^x)=x##.

i am still not confident i can break the formula down from its current point

leejohnson222 said:
i am still not confident i can break the formula down from its current point
Let's summarize what we have so far.
  1. ##\ln(1 - v_c/v_s) = \ln(e ^{- t/rc})##
  2. ##\ln(e^x)=x##
Therefore $$ \ln(e ^{- t/rc})=?$$

sorry hit a wall with this now, i dont see how its breaking down to find c
i think im confused with x in the formula now

leejohnson222 said:
If it's too hard to use Latex for equations, you should use a least
1 - Vc/Vs = e -t/rc (select -t/rc, use the supersciript button)
I don't see what the problem is with taking the log of both sides. The right side of the equaton will be the log of an exponential, so you should be able to simplify that.

leejohnson222 said:
i think im confused with x in the formula now
Replace ##x## with ##-\frac{t}{RC}##.

willem2 said:
If it's too hard to use Latex for equations, you should use a least
1 - Vc/Vs = e -t/rc (select -t/rc, use the supersciript button)
I don't see what the problem is with taking the log of both sides. The right side of the equaton will be the log of an exponential, so you should be able to simplify that.
ok so In (1 - 1/22) = In ( e-3/1xc )
log (1 - 0.0454) =-3/c

-3/c = In (0.6667)

kuruman said:
Let's summarize what we have so far.
  1. ##\ln(1 - v_c/v_s) = \ln(e ^{- t/rc})##
  2. ##\ln(e^x)=x##
Therefore $$ \ln(e ^{- t/rc})=?$$
In ( 1 - Vc/vs ) ??

willem2 said:
The problem seems to be he does not know or remember what a logarithm to a given base is, nor possibly what raising to a power is, what ##e## is, what ##ln## is, so you need to decide whether it is appropriate to for you to explain these things, or instead refer him to his old textbook.

appologies i am new to this and was getting a hold of it to a degree, i understand log is another way to express the exp, e is the natural log In. I believe that if its there is a number after log thats the base, if not it can be assumed to be 10

Well if there is one thing I learned here it is respect for the writers of textbooks, their job is a difficult one. I don't think we should duplicate it much. rather our job is to clear up the misunderstandings and oversights, points missed that still emerge afterwards. Though go ahead anyone who wants to try.

But I think you would be best off by looking back at your old math textbook, or equivalent on the web, you'd probably find it quite soon comes back to you.

Likes PeroK
leejohnson222 said:
i understand log is another way to express the exp
No. They are inverse functions. Hence ##\ln{e^x}=x##.

Mister T said:
No. They are inverse functions. Hence ##\ln{e^x}=x##.
… and ##e^{\ln(x)}=x##.

Related to Struggling to rearrange a formula to find c

What is the process for rearranging a formula to find c?

The process for rearranging a formula to find c involves isolating the variable c on one side of the equation and simplifying the remaining terms on the other side. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as addition and subtraction, multiplication and division, or exponentiation and logarithms. The goal is to get c by itself on one side of the equation, with all other terms on the other side.

What are the basic principles of algebra that can help with rearranging a formula to find c?

The basic principles of algebra that can help with rearranging a formula to find c include the commutative, associative, and distributive properties, as well as the concept of inverse operations. These principles allow you to manipulate the terms in an equation without changing the overall value, making it easier to rearrange the formula to isolate c.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when rearranging a formula to find c?

Some common mistakes to avoid when rearranging a formula to find c include forgetting to apply the same operation to both sides of the equation, not simplifying terms correctly, and not properly using the order of operations. It is also important to keep track of any negative signs and to be careful when dealing with fractions or variables with exponents.

How can I check if I rearranged the formula correctly to find c?

You can check if you rearranged the formula correctly to find c by substituting your solution back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then your rearranged formula is correct. You can also use a calculator or software program to graph both the original and rearranged equations and see if they produce the same graph.

Are there any helpful tips or tricks for rearranging a formula to find c?

One helpful tip for rearranging a formula to find c is to work backwards from the desired result. Start with the final equation and use inverse operations to undo each step until you reach the starting equation. It can also be helpful to write out each step and clearly label which operation you are using. Additionally, practicing with different types of equations and seeking help from a tutor or teacher can improve your skills in rearranging formulas.