Structure of a Matrix With Empty Null Space

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of null space in relation to square matrices and the structure that must be present for the only solution to be the zero vector. This requirement can be fulfilled by having linearly independent rows and columns, or by having a non-zero determinant. The conversation also mentioned the possibility of extending this result to rectangular matrices, where the matrix being of full column rank indicates a zero null space. The conversation ended with a summary of the important properties that a matrix of full rank must have, including linear independence and a non-zero determinant.
Paul Shredder
Hi guys, I hope you are having a great day, this is Paul and, as you have seen in the title, that's what I'm looking for, let me explain:

When you have a square matrix with empty null space, that is, the only solution to the equation Ax=0 (with dim(A)=n x n) is the vector x=0n x 1, means that A is of full rank and the rows and columns of the matrix are linearly independent.

The question is:

What structure does A must have to accomplish this requeriment?

For example, particular cases are the identity matrix, upper and lower diagonal matrices. But I need to find ALL THE POSIBILITIES FOR ALL SIZES OF MATRICES!

Sounds crazy, because there are a lot of posibilities, and I do not expect you to solve me the complete problem (but if you do, it would be really great, hahaha), but I would like you to suggest me about some bibliography where I can find any clue to solve this problem.

I already read some Linear Algebra books, but I only found the basics of the issue, that is, the concept of Null Space, orthogonal complement to row space of A, and that kind of stuff.

Well, sorry if I wrote too many lines, but it was for a good explaining of the issue. Haha.

Thanks for reading and answering, I send you greetings from México, goodbye guys! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Paul Shredder said:
What structure does A must have to accomplish this requeriment?
This:
Paul Shredder said:
the rows and columns of the matrix are linearly independent.
An equivalent requirement is a non-zero determinant.

Likes Paul Shredder
mfb said:
This:
An equivalent requirement is a non-zero determinant.

Thank you very much mfb! I did not think on that. :) Really, thank you. n_n

Last edited:
Hi guys, this is again me, and I write this to complete a little more the issue. I did not find all the posibilities to the matrix, but I extended teh result to rectangular matrices:

For a matrix A with dim(m x n):

Case m>n:
We can see it as a "tall and thin" matrix (haha). If we transport the matrix to an homogenous linear system, this case is called "overdetermined system", that is, more equations than variables. Then, if the matrix is of full column rank, the kernel of the matrix is the zero null space.

Case m<n: As an analogy to the last one, this is a large and fat matrix. In an homogenous linear system this is call "underdetermined system", that is, less equations than variables. Then, there will be always at least 1 degree of freedom in the variables, so there is no posibility to this matrix to have zero null space.

Case m=n:
This is the case I mentioned since the start. I did not find more cases than identity matrix and upper/lower matrices, but some important properties these matrices should accomplish are (all of them are equivalent):

1. Between rows and between columns of the matrix A, they sould be linearly independent.
2. The determinant of A is non zero.
3. A is of full rank.
4. A is non singular.

I thought that it would be useful to write this if anyone is interested in the topic, and it is still opened if someone else found something novel. But for now I do not need anymore of this. Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day. n_n

Related to Structure of a Matrix With Empty Null Space

What is the null space of a matrix?

The null space of a matrix is the set of all possible vectors that when multiplied by the matrix, result in a zero vector.

How do you determine the null space of a matrix?

To determine the null space of a matrix, we need to perform row reduction on the matrix and identify the pivot columns. The columns that do not contain pivot elements are the free variables, and the corresponding columns of the original matrix form the basis for the null space.

What does an empty null space indicate?

An empty null space indicates that the matrix is invertible. In other words, there are no vectors that can be multiplied by the matrix to result in a zero vector, meaning that the only solution to the equation Ax = 0 is the trivial solution x = 0.

Can a matrix have more than one null space?

Yes, a matrix can have more than one null space. This can happen when a matrix is not invertible, and there are multiple solutions to the equation Ax = 0. Each solution represents a different null space.

How does the null space of a matrix relate to its rank?

The null space of a matrix is related to its rank through the rank-nullity theorem, which states that the rank of a matrix plus the dimension of its null space equals the number of columns in the matrix. In other words, the null space can provide insight into the linear dependence or independence of the columns in the matrix.