Structure constants of Lie groups

In summary, the problem is asking for the structure constants of the rotation group using new infinitesimal parameters, ε1 = ε23, ε2 = ε31, and ε3 = ε12. These parameters will be used to transform points from the original coordinates to the transformed coordinates. The structure constants are determined by functions fki(x) which satisfy certain conditions. The individual asking for help is unsure how to find these functions and is seeking assistance.
turin
Homework Helper
Source: Anderson, Principles of Relativity Physics

p. 13, prob. 1.4

"Reparametrize the rotation group by taking, as new infinitesimal parameters, ε1 = ε23, ε2 = ε31, and ε3 = ε12 and calculate the structure constants for these parameters."

My assumptions:

(1)
The εij mentioned in the problem are the infinitesimal Cartesian parameters of the 3-D rotation group such that εij = -εji, and yi = xi + Σjεijxj, where x is the original point and y is the transformed point.

(2)
To generalize this to non-Cartesian coordinates and still maintain the Lie group-ness, the transformation takes the general form:

yi = xi + Σkεkfki(x)

where the fki(x) satisfy the following condition.

(3)
The request for structure constants is a request for constants ckmn such that:

yi = xi + ΣkΣmΣnBmεAn - εAmεBn)ckmnfki(x)

(4)
The parameters εk are the non-Cartesian parameters, and so, they should multiply some functions fki(x), and these functions determine the structure constants.

My problem with understanding:

I don't know how to find the fki(x). I have:

Σjεijxj = Σkεkfki(x)

but I don't see how this tells me fik(x). Am I supposed to assume some kind of orthogonality or something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do I need to use some sort of change of coordinates? If so, how? Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Thank you for your question. The structure constants of Lie groups are important in understanding the algebraic properties of these groups, and your question about finding the fki(x) is a valid one. Allow me to provide some clarification and guidance on how to approach this problem.

Firstly, your assumptions (1) and (2) are correct. The infinitesimal parameters εij are the generators of the rotation group, and the transformation takes the general form yi = xi + Σkεkfki(x), where fki(x) are functions that satisfy certain conditions to maintain the Lie group structure.

To find the structure constants ckmn, we need to consider the transformation of a point x under the new parameters ε1, ε2, and ε3. Using the given reparametrization, we have:

yi = xi + ε23f1(x) + ε31f2(x) + ε12f3(x)

Expanding this out, we get:

yi = xi + ε2(f1(x) - f3(x)) + ε3(f1(x) + f2(x)) + ε1(f2(x) - f3(x))

Comparing this with the general form of the transformation, we can see that:

f12(x) = f1(x) - f3(x)
f13(x) = f1(x) + f2(x)
f23(x) = f2(x) - f3(x)

Now, using the condition mentioned in assumption (3), we can write:

f12(x) = -ε3f13(x) + ε2f23(x)
f13(x) = ε3f12(x) - ε1f23(x)
f23(x) = ε1f13(x) - ε2f12(x)

Substituting these expressions into the general form of the transformation, we get:

yi = xi + ε1f12(x) + ε2f13(x) + ε3f23(x)

Comparing this with the given form of the transformation, we can see that:

f12(x) = f1(x) - f3(x) = f1(x) + ε23f3(x) - ε31f2(x)
f13(x) = f1(x) + f2(x) = f1(x) - ε23f2(x) + ε12f3(x)
f23(x) = f2(x) - f3

Related to Structure constants of Lie groups

What are structure constants of Lie groups?

Structure constants are numerical coefficients that describe the algebraic structure of a Lie group. They are used to define the commutator of two elements in the group and determine the group's Lie algebra.

Why are structure constants important?

Structure constants play a crucial role in the study of Lie groups and their applications in physics and mathematics. They help to understand the properties of the group, such as its symmetry and invariance under transformations.

How are structure constants calculated?

Structure constants are calculated using the group's multiplication table, which lists all possible combinations of the group's elements and their products. The coefficients are then obtained by expressing the commutator of two elements as a linear combination of the group's basis elements.

Can structure constants be different for different Lie groups?

Yes, structure constants can vary for different Lie groups. Each group has its own specific algebraic structure, and thus, its own set of structure constants. However, some groups may have similar structure constants if they have similar algebraic properties.

What are some applications of structure constants in science?

Structure constants have various applications in physics, such as in quantum field theory, particle physics, and string theory. They are also used in mathematics, specifically in the study of abstract algebra and differential geometry. Additionally, they have applications in engineering, particularly in control theory and robotics.