Structural Analysis of a Table

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine if a table can hold a 1500 lb axle. It is suggested to use a structural mechanics program and to consider the load distribution and safety factor. A rough calculation is provided to determine the stress on the axle locator, which is found to be well below the yield strength of the materials used, indicating that the structure is safe.
dalbir4444
See the pdf here: www.ellipticinc.com/table.pdf

Will this table must be able to hold a 1500 lb axle? Just help me a bit and get me started. I have no idea where to begin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you would have to find out how the forces would act within the structure and see if any one of those forces exceed the yielding strength of the materials being used.

Hello,

Could you provide a little more detail and maybe do the 1st few steps. Are there any similar examples like this one on internet.

Thanks.

You need to look at stresses in various parts of the fixture to see if any exceed the yield stress for the materials involved. As it is heavy and injury is a possibility, there should be a safety factor involved.

For something of this nature I would use a structural mechanics program of some sort like ABAQUS, NASTRAN, etc.

Can someone please check my work:

ok. if i do this by thumb rule then the structure is safe enough to hold the axle. How? now consider the load of 1500 lb = 6672 N is equally distributed among the two axle locator plates. Now since complete dimension are not given so from the observation of the angle locator plates, roughly an area of (1 inch * 1.5 inch)*2 is in contact with the axle. Now axle locator is the critical load bearing member in the table assembly. So it will be taking the maximum stress. formula for stress is, stress =force/area

stress = 6672 N / 2*950 square mm = 3.5 Mpa

Normally structural steel has a yield strength of 250 Mpa. So the calculated stress (3.5 Mpa) is very much lower than the yield stress. So the structure is safe.

Regards

Last edited:

Related to Structural Analysis of a Table

What is structural analysis of a table?

Structural analysis of a table refers to the process of examining the physical components and design of a table to determine its stability, strength, and durability.

Why is structural analysis important for tables?

Structural analysis is important for tables because it ensures that the table can safely support the intended load without collapsing or breaking. It also helps identify any potential weaknesses or design flaws that could lead to future problems.

What factors are considered in structural analysis of a table?

Some of the factors considered in structural analysis of a table include the type of material used, the dimensions and shape of the table, the joints and connections between components, and the expected load or weight that the table will need to support.

How is structural analysis of a table performed?

Structural analysis of a table is typically performed using mathematical equations and computer simulations to assess the structural integrity and stability of the table. Physical testing and visual inspection may also be used to evaluate the table's design and construction.

What are some common issues found in structural analysis of tables?

Some common issues found in structural analysis of tables include inadequate support or reinforcement, weak joints or connections, and inappropriate material selection. These issues can lead to instability, bending or warping, and even collapse of the table.