Strong mathematical induction, how do u figure out the range of the variable?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of proving dn =< 1 for all integers n >= 0 using strong mathematical induction. It is necessary to test for two start cases, as d_n is defined in terms of the two previous terms. The use of k > 2 in the proof is equivalent to k >= 3 as the problem states.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone.

I've been looking at examples and I can't seem to see what they are doing.

For example, the book has:

Suppose that d1, d2, d3 ... is a sequence defined as follows:
d1 = 9/10, d2 = 10/11.

dk = dk-1 * dk-2 for all inegers k >= 3.

Prove that dn =< 1 for all integers n >= 0.

The book says:
Proof (by strong mathematical induction): let the property P(n) be the inequality dn =< 1.

Show that the proeprty is true for n = 1, and n =2:
I understand why they are starting at n = 1, but why are they testing 2 cases? If i had say, d1 = 9/10, d2 = 10/11, d3 = 10/12, then would i have to test for n = 1, n = 2, and n = 3?

They then go onto say,
Show that for any integer k > 2, if the property is true for all integeers i with 1 =< i < k, then it is true for k:

I'm confused on how they are getting k > 2, also how did they figure out that range from 1 = < i < k ?

My problem looks very similar to this one, but it has 3 subscripts instead of one:

http://suprfile.com/src/1/3itfbah/3.jpg

I would think k >= 3, becuase that's the problem states, that
ek = ek -1, ek-2, ek-3 for all integers k >= 3

THanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
They test for two start cases because you need to specify d_1 and d_2 in order to determine the rest of the sequence. d_n is defined in terms of the two previous terms, so you're never going to infer anything about the second term from the first alone.

Strong induction is very simple. You just use it when in order to deduce the veracity of P(n) you need to use more than just the previous term. If you can deduce it from the previous r terms for all n, then you need to verify it for the initial r terms. Note your example of d_1, d_2 and d_3 is silly. They don't satisfy d_n = d_{n-1}*d_{n-2}, do they? (please avoid using dk for the k'th term because dk-1 strictly means (dk) minus 1, not the k-1'st term).

I do see what your saying matt,
but I'm still confused on why they said, for any integer k > 2, when in the problem it says, k >= 3 ? or is that equivlent becuase they are integers, so they can't use for example, 2.4, they would have to use 3?

Of course it is equivalent. Unless you know of any integers between 2 and 3 exclusive?

Related to Strong mathematical induction, how do u figure out the range of the variable?

1. What is strong mathematical induction?

Strong mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove statements about natural numbers or integers. It is similar to regular mathematical induction, but it involves using multiple base cases instead of just one.

2. How do you use strong mathematical induction to prove a statement?

To use strong mathematical induction, you first need to identify the statement that you want to prove. Then, you need to prove the statement for the base cases, which are typically the smallest natural numbers or integers. Finally, you need to assume that the statement is true for all natural numbers or integers up to a certain value, and use this assumption to prove that the statement is true for the next natural number or integer. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all values.

3. What is the difference between strong mathematical induction and regular mathematical induction?

The main difference between strong mathematical induction and regular mathematical induction is that strong mathematical induction uses multiple base cases, while regular mathematical induction only uses one base case. This allows for a wider range of statements to be proven using strong mathematical induction.

4. How do you determine the range of the variable in strong mathematical induction?

The range of the variable in strong mathematical induction depends on the statement that you are trying to prove. It is typically determined by the base cases and the assumption that the statement is true for all values up to a certain value. The range of the variable should cover all natural numbers or integers that are needed to prove the statement.

5. What are some common examples of statements that can be proven using strong mathematical induction?

Some common examples of statements that can be proven using strong mathematical induction include the sum of the first n natural numbers, the product of the first n natural numbers, and the Fibonacci sequence. In general, any statement that involves a recursive definition or requires multiple base cases can be proven using strong mathematical induction.