Strong induction hypothesis for statement about connected graphs

In summary: The first two are just properties of G' itself, and the third is that each edge in G' is even.In summary, the strong induction hypothesis asserts that if G is connected and every vertex has even degree, then G has a Eulerian circuit.
find_the_fun
Use strong induction to prove that if G is connected and every vertex has even degree that G has a Eulerian Circuit.

a)verify the base case where G has no edges - done
b)Write down the strong induction hypothesis that asserts the statement is true for all graphs that meet the hypotheses and have at most k edges.

I'm not sure if I did b right. Here's what I got
Assume that G is connected and it has a Eularian Circuit if has at most k edges and ever vertex has an even degree.

Is this right? In the induction hypothesis a new constant is introduced, which is k in this case.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: strong induction hypothesis for statement about connected graphs

find_the_fun said:
Assume that G is connected and it has a Eularian Circuit if has at most k edges and ever vertex has an even degree.
First, I would exclude the word "assume" from the hypothesis itself. If the hypothesis is $P(k)$, then the induction step starts with "Assume $P(k)$", and this would make two "assume"s in a row. Second, you need to move "$G$ is connected" to the premise of the assumption. If $P(k)$ has the form "$G$ is connected and (... ⇒ ...)", then, when you are proving $P(k+1)$, you have to prove, in particular, that $G$ with at most $k+1$ edges is connected. Instead, you should assume that it is connected.

Finally, you are right that the hypothesis contains a new variable $k$. What about $G$? There are two options: either $G$ is free in $P(k)$ and is thus the same in $P(k)$ and $P(k+1)$, or it is bound by a universal quantifier. The first case happens when you fix $G$ before starting induction, i.e., when you start the proof by saying "Fix an arbitrary $G$ and then apply a strong induction on $k$". In this case, $G$ is the same throughout the whole induction process. But this does not make sense because $G$ is supposed to have different number of edges. Formally, in proving the induction step $P(k)\implies P(k+1)$, you assume $P(k)$ and the premise of $P(k+1)$, which says that $G$ has at most $k+1$ edges. But then you cannot apply $P(k)$ because its own premise says that the same $G$ has at most $k$ edges. Therefore, you need the second option, where $G$ is universally quantified in $P(k)$.

Altogether, the induction hypothesis $P(k)$ should be as follows: For any graph $G$ with at most $k$ edges, if $G$ is connected and every vertex of $G$ has even degree, then $G$ has a Eulerian circuit.

Ok thanks. The next part asks to explain why the induction hypothesis can be applied to the subgraph H constructed by deleting the edges in the longest circuit in G.

What I don't get is how can you explain the induction step still applies? Isn't it just saying assume something is true, so how could it not apply?

find_the_fun said:
The next part asks to explain why the induction hypothesis can be applied to the subgraph H constructed by deleting the edges in the longest circuit in G.

What I don't get is how can you explain the induction step still applies? Isn't it just saying assume something is true, so how could it not apply?
Suppose there is a graph $G$ satisfying the premise of $P(k+1)$, i.e., $G$ has at most $k+1$ edges, $G$ is connected and every vertex of $G$ has even degree. Let $G'$ be obtained from $G$ by deleting the edges in the longest circuit. The question asks to show that $G'$ satisfies the premise of $P(k)$, i.e., $G'$ has at most $k$ edges, $G'$ is connected and every vertex of $G'$ has even degree. This way, the conclusion of $P(k)$ applies to $G'$ as well, i.e., $G'$ has a Eulerian circuit, from which we then construct a Eulerian circuit in $G$.

Re: Strong induction hypothesis for statement about connected graphs

Ok so I need to show that
1)G' is connected
2)G' has at most k edges
3)Each edge is G' has even degree

I think I'm getting it now.

Related to Strong induction hypothesis for statement about connected graphs

1. What is the strong induction hypothesis for a statement about connected graphs?

The strong induction hypothesis for a statement about connected graphs is a method of proof that involves assuming the statement is true for all smaller cases, and then showing that it must also be true for the larger case. This is done by using the principle of mathematical induction and building upon the smaller cases to prove the larger case.

2. How is the strong induction hypothesis different from regular induction?

The strong induction hypothesis is different from regular induction in that it allows for multiple base cases to be used in the proof. Regular induction only uses one base case, while strong induction uses all smaller cases to prove the larger case.

3. How is the strong induction hypothesis used in proving statements about connected graphs?

The strong induction hypothesis is used in proving statements about connected graphs by first proving the statement for the smallest case (usually a graph with only one vertex), and then assuming it is true for all smaller cases and using this assumption to prove it for the larger case. By building upon the smaller cases, the proof is completed for all cases.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the strong induction hypothesis to prove statements about connected graphs?

Some common mistakes when using the strong induction hypothesis to prove statements about connected graphs include not considering all possible base cases, not properly building upon the smaller cases, and assuming the statement is true for all cases without proper proof.

5. How can I apply the strong induction hypothesis to other mathematical proofs?

The strong induction hypothesis can be applied to other mathematical proofs by following the same principles of proving the statement for smaller cases and then using this assumption to prove the larger case. It is a useful tool in proving many mathematical statements that involve a sequential structure.