Strong Equivalence Principle Question

In summary, a photon traveling from a high altitude to an observer at low altitude appears to have a higher frequency, as the laboratory undergoing uniform acceleration in deep space is equivalent to Earth's gravity. This would explain why we observe a gravitational blue shift.
latentcorpse
My notes say that a photon traveling from a high altitude to an observer at low altitude appears to have a higher frequency i.e. gravitational blue shift.

now I am having trouble getting this:

the strong equivalence principle says we can substitute this "laboratory" with a laboratory that is undergoing uniform acceleration -g in deep space.

i then drew a box with the photon being emitted from the roof and traveling towards the floor. the box is moving downward with an acceleration g. so as we are moving away from the source we should use the following formula for gravitational doppler effect:

[itex]\nu^{obs}=\nu^{source} \sqrt{\frac{1-\beta}{1+\beta}}[/itex] where [itex]\beta=\frac{v}{c}[/itex] which predicts a gravitational redshift as [itex]\beta[/itex] is positive as we are moving away from the source with velocity v. I'm messing up somewhere but i can't see it.

help!

Physics news on Phys.org
latentcorpse said:
... a photon traveling from a high altitude to an observer at low altitude ...
... substitute ... with a laboratory that is undergoing uniform acceleration -g in deep space.
... photon ... emitted from the roof and traveling towards the floor. the box is moving downward with an acceleration g.
... we are moving away from the source ...
In order to emulate Earth's gravity, so that things fall to the floor, the floor should accelerate upwards, not downwards. We are "moving" toward the source (if we are on the floor).

latentcorpse said:
[itex]\nu^{obs}=\nu^{source} \sqrt{\frac{1-\beta}{1+\beta}}[/itex] where [itex]\beta=\frac{v}{c}[/itex]
How are you going to determine β?

ok. i think what was confusing me was that whilst gravitation on Earth is [itex]-\vec{g}[/itex] downward. the strong equivalence principle equivalent of this will be a laboratory in deep space which is accelerating "up" with magnitude g, correct?

this would certainly explain why we observe a gravitational blue shift...

its just an introguction course to GR so we were just examining whether [itex]
\beta[/itex] was positive or negative and noting if we see blue shift or red shift as a result...

Related to Strong Equivalence Principle Question

What is the Strong Equivalence Principle?

The Strong Equivalence Principle (SEP) is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in all frames of reference. This means that the effects of gravity and acceleration are indistinguishable.

How is the Strong Equivalence Principle different from the Weak Equivalence Principle?

The Weak Equivalence Principle (WEP) states that the effects of gravity are the same as the effects of acceleration, but only in small regions of space and time. The SEP expands on this by stating that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of the strength or size of the gravitational field.

Why is the Strong Equivalence Principle important?

The SEP is important because it is a fundamental principle that underlies many theories in physics, including Einstein's theory of general relativity. It also helps us understand the nature of gravity and how it interacts with other forces.

Is the Strong Equivalence Principle supported by evidence?

Yes, there is strong evidence to support the SEP. One of the most famous examples is the gravitational redshift, where light from a source in a strong gravitational field appears to be shifted to longer wavelengths. This effect is predicted by the SEP and has been observed in numerous experiments.

Are there any exceptions to the Strong Equivalence Principle?

There are currently no known exceptions to the SEP, but some physicists are exploring the possibility that the principle may break down in extreme conditions, such as near the event horizon of a black hole. However, this is still a topic of ongoing research and has not been definitively proven or disproven.