Strong duality and coordniate transform

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of strong duality in optimization problems and whether it holds for a transformed problem obtained through a bijective coordinate transformation. The discussion also touched on the differences in topology, orientation, and curvature between the original and transformed domains, as well as the use of the invariance principle for solving optimization problems. It was suggested to map the projection matrix from one space to the next to solve the problem, but the individual ultimately found a solution through a different method. It was concluded that in this particular setting, the duals of the original and derived problems are equivalent. The original problem involved finding the projection of a vector onto an n-dimensional simplex, and the projection was not a linear operator.
lementin
Hello all,

Assume we have an optimization problem and that strong duality holds. Will it also hold for another optimization problem obtained from the initial by a bijective coordinates transform?

Thank you in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey lementin and welcome to the forums.

I'm going to base this reply on three things: topology, orientation and curvature differences of the co-ordinate transformations.

The questions relate to if these things remain constant between co-ordinate system transformations: i.e. does the topology of both spaces, the orientation of both spaces, and the curvature of both spaces remain the same?

Hi, chiro. Thank you for your reply.
The original domain is a simplex and the transformed problem is obtained by incorporating the linear condition and, thus reducing the dimensionality to n-1. That being said the topologies of two domains are different. For curvature and orientation, I'm not sure if they can be applied to the second domain (only to its border). Anyways, I think we can say, that they are different from the primary domain.

The original problem was to find the projection of an arbitrary vector onto n-dimensional simplex. I wanted to prove the equivalence since in the derived problem we can easily prove Slater condition, whereas the original problem is computationally easier to tackle .

One suggestion I have is to look up the invariance principle for a simple optimization problem (as in the basic Lagrange multiplier formulation) and see what the constraints are for the simplest problems (or even the ones you can find). If you have to do this yourself, the thing you will have to show is to prove that under a specific transformation: minimums in one space will be minimums in another and maximums in one space will be maximums in another.

You have a simplex so it's not like having a spherical or hyperbolic geometry which will make things more palateable.

I can't think right now of any other way other than to do it from first principles and I don't actually know much optimization in depth, but if I was faced with this problem that's what I would do.

In terms of the projection though, I'd imagine if you have a co-ordinate transform that this would be a lot more straightforward since you can define a projection operator in one space and then use the bijective nature to map the transform in one space to one in another. I'm assuming your projection is a linear one (i.e. using a matrix) so if you can map the projection matrix from one space to the next, then you're done.

I'd this by mapping the basis vectors the right way and then taking the basis and transforming the projection operator to work on those new basis vectors since the operator is just going to be performed on a vector with respect to its elements that represent basis transformations.

In other words you have your operator P, and it has column vectors corresponding to the bases used to transform your vector v when you apply Pv, and transforming these basis vectors to your new space and taking into account the geometry should give you a new operator in the new space, as long as the topology is consistent (i.e. maintain specific continuity, no non-simple regions, etc).

What do you think?

I actually found a walkaround and solved my problem by a completely different method.

Concerning the original problem: I did a little research comparing the duals of the original and the derived problems, and they seem to be equivalent (in particular, minumums do coincide). Thus, the answer to my question in this particular settings seems to be positive.

The projection in my case is not a linear operator (it is defined as a minimization of the distance from a point to the simplex).

Thank you very much for your help, chiro.

Related to Strong duality and coordniate transform

1. What is strong duality in scientific research?

Strong duality is a mathematical concept that states that for every optimization problem, there exists a dual problem that has the same optimal solution. In scientific research, it is commonly used in linear programming and other optimization problems to find an alternative and equivalent way of solving the problem.

2. How is strong duality related to coordinate transform?

Coordinate transform, also known as change of basis, is a method used to convert coordinates between different coordinate systems. In the context of strong duality, coordinate transform is used to convert the primal problem (original problem) and the dual problem into equivalent forms, making it easier to solve and compare the solutions.

3. What is the purpose of using coordinate transform in strong duality?

The main purpose of using coordinate transform in strong duality is to simplify the optimization problem and make it easier to solve. By transforming the problem into different coordinate systems, it is possible to find a more efficient and effective solution.

4. Can strong duality and coordinate transform be used in all scientific disciplines?

Yes, strong duality and coordinate transform are widely used in various scientific disciplines including mathematics, physics, engineering, and economics. Any optimization problem can be transformed and solved using this concept.

5. Are there any limitations to using strong duality and coordinate transform?

While strong duality and coordinate transform are powerful tools, they do have some limitations. They are most effective when used in linear programming problems, and may not be applicable to non-linear or discrete optimization problems. Additionally, the transformation process can be complex and time-consuming, requiring advanced mathematical knowledge and skills.