Strong and weak interactions particles

In summary: Thanks!I am just not sure that bosons are a quanta that experiences also in strong interactions. I thought that because they have a mass of about 80 or 90 GeV/c2, which is just less than the strength of weak interactions, they are emitted only during weak interactions. And because the strength of strong interactions is instead 10 times greater (about 1015 GeV), according with the theory of quantum chromodynamics during strong interactions it is involved the emissions of gluons, which is indeed the quanta for strong interactions.Of course it depends on what type of boson you are talking about but if we only include standard model higgs bosons then it does not interact with the strong force. This is because
Orion78
Does anybody could help me to state if the following particles experience strong interactions, weak interactions, both interactions or neither of the two interactions? This is what I think:

electron = strong interactions and weak interactions
boson = weak interactions
down quark = strong interactions and weak interactions
gluon = strong interactions
anti muon neutrino = weak interactions
up antiquark = strong interactions

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Orion78 said:
Does anybody could help me to state if the following particles experience strong interactions, weak interactions, both interactions or neither of the two interactions? This is what I think:

electron = strong interactions and weak interactions
boson = weak interactions
down quark = strong interactions and weak interactions
gluon = strong interactions
anti muon neutrino = weak interactions
up antiquark = strong interactions

Thanks!
electron-weak W
boson-S and W
down quark=S and W
gluon- S
any neutrino W
any quark or antiqurk S and W

Thanks! I am just not sure that bosons are a quanta that experiences also in strong interactions. I thought that because they have a mass of about 80 or 90 GeV/c2, which is just less than the strength of weak interactions, they are emitted only during weak interactions. And because the strength of strong interactions is instead 10 times greater (about 1015 GeV), according with the theory of quantum chromodynamics during strong interactions it is involved the emissions of gluons, which is indeed the quanta for strong interactions.

Of course it depends on what type of boson you are talking about but if we only include standard model higgs bosons then it does not interact with the strong force. This is because the higgs transforms as a singlet under SU(3) and therefore does not interact with gluons.

"Boson" is a general term that includes any integral spin particle, so a Boson could be a gluon, pion, or a myriad of other particless.

Right, I was just trying to be specific because if we include pions as well then these bosons can interact electromagnetically, it all depends on how the Boson transforms under the appropriate symmery group.

There are also "gauge bosons" which are the "force carriers". Orion78 was there a specific particle/Boston you are interested in?

Related to Strong and weak interactions particles

1. What are strong and weak interaction particles?

The strong and weak interaction particles are subatomic particles that are responsible for the fundamental forces in nature. The strong interaction particles, also known as hadrons, include protons, neutrons, and other particles that make up the nucleus of an atom. The weak interaction particles, also known as leptons, include electrons, neutrinos, and other particles involved in radioactive decay.

2. How do strong and weak interaction particles differ?

The main difference between strong and weak interaction particles is their strength and range. Strong interaction particles are much stronger and have a shorter range compared to weak interaction particles. Additionally, strong interaction particles are only involved in the strong nuclear force, while weak interaction particles are involved in both the weak nuclear force and electromagnetism.

3. What is the role of strong and weak interaction particles in the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model of particle physics is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. In this model, strong and weak interaction particles play a crucial role in explaining the strong and weak nuclear forces. They are also responsible for the interactions between particles in the nucleus of an atom and the decay of unstable particles.

4. How are strong and weak interaction particles detected and studied?

Strong and weak interaction particles are detected and studied using particle accelerators and detectors. Particle accelerators use electric fields to accelerate particles to high speeds, and detectors are used to measure the properties and behavior of these particles. Scientists also use mathematical models and simulations to study the behavior of these particles.

5. What are some practical applications of strong and weak interaction particles?

Strong and weak interaction particles have many practical applications, such as in medical imaging and cancer treatment. Particle accelerators are used to produce the radioactive isotopes used in medical imaging, and the decay of weak interaction particles is used in cancer treatment. These particles are also used in nuclear power plants and in the production of energy from nuclear reactions.