Strings of three decimal digits

• MHB
  • Thread starter alexmahone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strings
In summary, there are 27 strings of three decimal digits that have exactly two digits that are 4s. This is because when counting with the reasoning of having a blank space, you are counting the same solution twice due to the interchangeable nature of the 4s. Therefore, dividing the original count of 54 by 2 gives the correct answer of 27 strings.
alexmahone
How many strings of three decimal digits have exactly two digits that are 4s?

Solution:

44x - 9 strings
4x4 - 9 strings
x44 - 9 strings
Total: 27 strings

I get that.

But what is wrong with this line of reasoning? I have two 4s with me. I have 3 positions for the first one and 2 for the second one. Then I will have a blank space that can be filled by one of 9 digits. So, the total number of strings is 3*2*9=54.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because with that reasoning you can place your first 4 in position 1 and your second 4 in position 2 and let the remaining digit be, say, 5, giving 445, but you can also place your first 4 in position 2, your second 4 in position 1, giving you... 445. So your approach counts the same solution twice, because it's taking into account order of the 4's when that order doesn't matter. Hence the number of solutions is actually 54/2 = 27.

Alexmahone said:
How many strings of three decimal digits have exactly two digits that are 4s?

Solution:

44x - 9 strings
4x4 - 9 strings
x44 - 9 strings
Total: 27 strings

I get that.

But what is wrong with this line of reasoning? I have two 4s with me. I have 3 positions for the first one and 2 for the second one. Then I will have a blank space that can be filled by one of 9 digits. So, the total number of strings is 3*2*9=54.

But you can't distinguish the 4's. There is no way to tell the "first four" from the "second four". You would be correct if one of the fours was red and the other four was green.

44x
44x
4x4
4x4
x44
x44

But if they are not colored then you only have three ways.

Related to Strings of three decimal digits

1. What are strings of three decimal digits?

Strings of three decimal digits are a sequence of three numbers in the decimal system. They can range from 000 to 999 and are commonly used to represent numerical values in various applications.

2. How are strings of three decimal digits different from regular numbers?

Strings of three decimal digits are different from regular numbers in that they are a sequence of characters rather than a single numerical value. They are often used in programming languages and data structures to store and manipulate numerical data.

3. Can strings of three decimal digits be used in mathematical calculations?

Yes, strings of three decimal digits can be converted into regular numbers and used in mathematical calculations. However, it is important to note that leading zeros in the string will be dropped during conversion, which may affect the accuracy of the calculation.

4. What is the maximum value that can be represented by a string of three decimal digits?

The maximum value that can be represented by a string of three decimal digits is 999. This is because each position in the string can hold a value from 0 to 9, and the highest possible combination is 999.

5. In what applications are strings of three decimal digits commonly used?

Strings of three decimal digits are commonly used in computer programming, data structures, and databases to store and manipulate numerical data. They are also used in various mathematical and statistical analyses, as well as in financial transactions and calculations.