String turns forty. (Happy birthday Veneziano model 1969)

In summary: But there were earlier papers, such as those by Veneziano and Virasoro.In summary, Hector Rubenstein was a professor at the University of California at Santa Barbara who was Gabriele Veneziano's PhD advisor. He wrote a memoir about the origins of string theory.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I heard today the sad news that one of the "grandfathers" of string, Hector Rubenstein, recently passed away.
He was Gabriele Veneziano's PhD advisor---or so I understand. Also that of Miguel Virasoro.
Here is a memoir about the string-beginnings written by Rubenstein:

The Birth of the Veneziano Model and String Theory
http://www.physto.se/~rub/gabriele/gab.ps

Sad though that news is, it reminds us to celebrate the 40th birthday of the Veneziano model. It was Veneziano's equation that got Leonard Susskind started. The story is he studied Veneziano's paper for several months and then began talking about particles being vibration modes.

If anybody has some additional knowledge about these roots in antiquity, please share them. Apparently the early days that Rubenstein recalls go back to the Weizmann Institute, in 1966. The Weizmann is a few kilometers south of Tel Aviv. His memoir has a photograph of himself, Veneziano, Virasoro, Sergio Fubini and others, which was taken there.

The developments he recounts occurred mainly in 1967-1969. He includes the photo of a crucial handwritten letter (English) which he received from Veneziano in 1968. The Veneziano model evidently got around at first by private communication and then was published either that same year or the next.

I think the initial paper was:
[16] G. Veneziano, “Construction of a Crossing-Symmetric Regge-Behaved Amplitude for Linearly Rising Regge Trajectories,” Nuovo Cim. 57A, 190 (1968).
Susskind followed up in 1969.
[38] L. Susskind, “Harmonic Oscillator Analogy for the Veneziano Amplitude,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 23, 545 (1969).
These references are from John Schwarz' history:
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0007118
Thanks to both Arivero and Thomas Larsson for calling my attention to these important people and events.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
marcus said:
I heard today the sad news that one of the "grandfathers" of string, Hector Rubenstein, recently passed away.
He was Gabriele Veneziano's PhD advisor---or so I understand. Also that of Miguel Virasoro.
Here is a memoir about the string-beginnings written by Rubenstein:

I'm sad to hear that. I had Hector R as the teacher during a course in "relativistic QM / QFT" several years ago. I remember him as often responding to requests to verify answers to examples as "when you understand this, you will no longer need to ask" without even bothering to look at the tentative answers :) Edit: Another thing I remember is a story he told in class as a response to someone complaining about too many exercises or something in parallell to other classes. He then told us that he once had a student that was at the same time in the israeli army (which he told was not a joke) - thus who are we to complain :)

His reasoning style in teaching from the tiny thing I could extract and remember now was more right to the point (omitting possible exceptions and motivations as I can recall).

But like many older professors he was inspirational to us students. But at that time I didn't know he was "grandfather" of string theory.

/Fredrik

Last edited:
marcus said:
The Birth of the Veneziano Model and String Theory
http://www.physto.se/~rub/gabriele/gab.ps
[16] G. Veneziano, “Construction of a Crossing-Symmetric Regge-Behaved Amplitude for Linearly Rising Regge Trajectories,” Nuovo Cim. 57A, 190 (1968).
Susskind followed up in 1969.
[38] L. Susskind, “Harmonic Oscillator Analogy for the Veneziano Amplitude,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 23, 545 (1969).
Thanks to both Arivero and Thomas Larsson for calling my attention to these important people and events.

Did we? Ah yes, in Woit's blog comment thread. Still, the developments of 1968-69, including the bosonic string picture, were a sort of analytical continuation of the singular developments of the decade. To me, the real cut is in January 1971, with Ramond fermion, and then perhaps at the end of this year the "dual hadron" model.

Now, if we want to set the milestone in the first mention of the string picture in a refereed journal, I think yes, it could be Susskind 1969.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to String turns forty. (Happy birthday Veneziano model 1969)

1. What is the String Theory?

The String Theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the two major theories of physics, general relativity and quantum mechanics. It proposes that particles in the universe are not 0-dimensional points, but rather 1-dimensional strings that vibrate at different frequencies.

2. How did the String Theory come about?

The String Theory was first proposed in 1969 by Gabriele Veneziano, a physicist at CERN. He was trying to explain the strong nuclear force, and his mathematical model of vibrating strings seemed to fit the data. This model became known as the Veneziano model and is considered the birth of the String Theory.

3. What is the significance of "String turns forty"?

"String turns forty" refers to the 40th anniversary of the publication of the Veneziano model in 1969. This model was the starting point for the development of the String Theory, which has since become one of the most influential and studied theories in physics.

4. How has the String Theory evolved since its inception?

The String Theory has gone through many developments and transformations since its inception. In the 1980s, new versions of the theory were proposed, including superstring theory and M-theory. These versions attempt to unify all the fundamental forces of nature and incorporate concepts like extra dimensions and supersymmetry.

5. What are the potential implications of the String Theory?

If the String Theory is proven to be correct, it would revolutionize our understanding of the universe. It would provide a unified explanation for all the fundamental forces and particles in the universe and potentially solve some long-standing mysteries, such as the nature of dark matter and the origin of the universe.

Back