String Theory & Poincaré Invariance: Why & What?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of Poincare invariance in bosonic string theory and the relevance of understanding special relativity before delving into ST. The book "Introduction to Bosonic String Theory" by Polchinski is recommended for further understanding.
moriheru
My question concerns poincare invariance (I have left out the accent) in bosonic string theory. As far as I know, action of a 1-d String is described by poincare invariance. So my question is: why poincare invariance? And here comes the more ambarassing question: What is poincare invariance(deriviations are more than welcome)? I am referring to Polchinskis first volume of two ,named "Introduction to bosonic string theory". The page is given below...Thanks for any help!

img002.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is this urgent?

Vanadium 50 said:
Why is this urgent?

Don't know just for fun. Thought it might accelerate messages :) .
Thanks for your valueable input.

You should first understand special relativity before jumping to ST. See e.g. any book om QFT, like Peskin&Schroeder. Or try Zwiebach.

You should first understand special relativity before jumping to ST. See e.g. any book om QFT, like Peskin&Schroeder. Or try Zwiebach.
I have only studied Universitys QM in depth esle I do mathematics. So is poincare invariance part of special relativity does Zwiebach cover metrics?

Yes and yes. I think Zwiebach is the book you want :)

Thankyou haushofer.

Related to String Theory & Poincaré Invariance: Why & What?

1. What is String Theory?

String Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile the differences between the two major theories of physics, general relativity and quantum mechanics. It proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny vibrating strings.

2. Why is String Theory important?

String Theory is important because it has the potential to provide a unified understanding of all the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. It also has the potential to explain phenomena that cannot be explained by current theories, such as gravity and the behavior of black holes.

3. What is Poincaré Invariance?

Poincaré Invariance is a fundamental symmetry in physics that states that the laws of physics remain the same regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This means that the laws of physics are the same for all observers moving at a constant velocity.

4. Why is Poincaré Invariance important in String Theory?

Poincaré Invariance is important in String Theory because it is a key principle that helps the theory maintain its consistency and mathematical elegance. It also allows for the concept of a unified theory to be possible, as it ensures that the laws of physics are the same for all observers.

5. What are the implications of String Theory and Poincaré Invariance?

The implications of String Theory and Poincaré Invariance are vast and still being explored. If proven to be true, it would completely revolutionize our understanding of the universe and potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in physics. It could also help solve some of the biggest mysteries in physics, such as the nature of dark matter and dark energy.