String Theory and Twistor Theory Combined

In summary, there has been inconsistency between Roger Penrose's twistor theory and string theory, but recent developments suggest that Ed Witten may have found a way to reconcile them by placing strings in twistor space. This correspondence was mentioned in a talk by Penrose last year, and it has sparked interest in the potential insights that may arise from this combination of theories. However, there are currently no further details or references available.
Naty1
Until recently the twistor theory of Roger Penrose on one hand and string theory on another, epitomized by Ed Witten and many others, have been inconsistent.

Twistor space uses 3+1 dimensions and is a complex space in additional dimensions with imaginary components, analogous to the complex number structure of quantum theory. String theory has I guess now 10 +1 real dimensions...although that can vary by theory. Twistors give rise to spin networks which have been discussed in other threads here.

According the a one line comment from Roger Penrose in a video from another thread here, Ed Witten has sent Penrose a 100 page document placing strings in twistor space...unsure when, sounds like in the last year or so.

And apparently some insightful ideas arise...anyone know anything more or have any references for reading??

Physics news on Phys.org
The reference was in a talk at Penn State June last year by Roger Penrose...honoring Abhay Ashtekar...Penrose made it sound like the correpoondence was a recent event that might restimulate interest in his twistor theory...The website has caused my computer to lock up three times just now , so I'll try again tomorrow.

I forgot to mention in my original post that the second paragraph desription of twistor theory's inconsistency with string theory in my original post is what I believe Roger Penrose said in a video related to another thread...it's his summary of the situation, not a conclusion I drew...Penrose he was of course ebullient that a guy of Witten's stature might "resurrect" the old twistor theory...

Related to String Theory and Twistor Theory Combined

1. What is string theory and twistor theory combined?

String theory and twistor theory combined is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify the principles of string theory and twistor theory, two separate but related theories in physics.

2. How does this combination help in understanding the universe?

This combination helps in understanding the universe by providing a more comprehensive and unified approach to studying the fundamental workings of the universe, including the nature of space, time, matter, and energy.

3. What are the main principles of string theory and twistor theory?

String theory proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are tiny strings that vibrate at different frequencies, while twistor theory suggests that space and time are not fundamental but arise from the interactions of massless particles called twistors.

4. What are the potential implications of string theory and twistor theory combined?

The combination of these two theories could potentially lead to a better understanding of quantum gravity, the unification of all four fundamental forces, and the resolution of long-standing mysteries in physics such as the nature of black holes and the origin of the universe.

5. Are there any experimental evidence to support this combined theory?

At present, there is no direct experimental evidence for the combination of string theory and twistor theory. However, some predictions of string theory, such as the existence of extra dimensions, have been indirectly supported by recent experiments in particle physics and cosmology.