String Theory and Theoretical vs. Mathematical Physics

In summary, the individual is interested in the difference between mathematical physics and theoretical physics, specifically in relation to the MSc Theoretical and Mathematical Physics courses at the University of Edinburgh. They are looking to apply for one of these courses and are interested in advanced topics such as quantum theory, quantum field theory, and string theory, with a focus on unifying gravity and quantum field theory. They have some confusion about whether string theory falls under mathematical physics or theoretical physics. They are seeking clarification on which field would be better suited for research in this area and which course would be more appropriate for their goals. They have also provided some resources for additional information and are seeking help in comparing the course syllabuses and finding a definitive answer.
jkurzweil
Hello,

I have a question about the the difference between mathematical physics and theoretical physics in general and about the difference between the MSc Theoretical and Mathematical Physics courses at Edinburgh in particular.

I am planning to apply, however I am not sure which of the two courses to chose.

I am very interested in learning about advanced quantum theory, quantum field theory and particle physics, general relativity, as well as cosmology. Although I do not know a whole lot about string theory, I can imagine very well being interested in that, as I like the idea of doing some very abstract physics (I am definitely not that into calculating approximations to come up with phenomenological descriptions, but rather into the exact and analytical part), and the goal of unifying gravity with QFT sounds fascinating. However, as I recently found out, this seems to be an area of mathematical physics rather than theoretical physics and I was a bit confused by that. Could someone elaborate on that?

Generally I have always thought of myself as being more interested in theoretical physics than mathematics (I am not really into pure math, I need to have that connection to real physical problems but I love analytical and mathematical models -> theoretical physics), which led me to believe that I should choose the corresponding course. However I would love to go into research on string theory, as I would love to work on the most fundamental theoretical problems in physics. Was I mistaken to believe that string theory is not a purely mathematical subject? At most universities I know, I have found, string theory is done in the mathematical physics or applied physics groups.

So to come to my main question: For someone aspiring to get into research on the unification of gravity and QFT, which would be the better field, theoretical or mathematical physics? Does it even matter or is there really no difference when it comes to string theory?
Finally, which of the two courses mentioned above would be better suited for my goal? Is there anyone who has done one of the two courses who can explain the main differences to me?

Any help on those questions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Joel

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't answer your question directly but thought you might like to see some sites that talk about the math you would need in order to understand string theory and other topics in theoretical physics:

https://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/

http://www.superstringtheory.com/

and more specifically the list of math courses you would need for string theory:

http://www.superstringtheory.com/math/index.html
http://www.superstringtheory.com/math/math2.html
http://www.superstringtheory.com/math/math3.html

Other members here at PF may be able to answer your more detailed questions.

Have you seen a course syllabus where you can compare an actual list of courses for each degree?

Or perhaps you can call the university/department and speak with someone who could give you a definitive answer.

Lastly, from what you've said already it seems that the theoretical physics approach would be best and would include the math needed to understand the subjects. You probably can also tailor things by taking additional math courses to give you a deeper understanding of things.

Related to String Theory and Theoretical vs. Mathematical Physics

1. What is string theory and how does it differ from traditional physics theories?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental building blocks of the universe by describing them as tiny vibrating strings rather than point-like particles. It differs from traditional physics theories in that it seeks to unify the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) into one comprehensive theory, known as a "theory of everything".

2. How does string theory relate to the concept of extra dimensions?

String theory predicts that there are more than the three spatial dimensions (length, width, and height) that we can perceive in our everyday lives. It suggests that there are additional dimensions, such as the Calabi-Yau dimensions, which are curled up and hidden from our view. These extra dimensions are necessary for string theory to work mathematically and are crucial in understanding the fundamental forces of the universe.

3. Is string theory testable and falsifiable?

At this point, string theory is still a purely theoretical framework and has not been proven or disproven by experiments. While some aspects of string theory can be tested, such as its predictions for the existence of extra dimensions, many of its predictions are beyond the capabilities of current technology. Therefore, it is currently not considered falsifiable and remains a subject of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.

4. What is the difference between theoretical and mathematical physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical models and principles to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. It seeks to understand the laws and principles that govern the universe through abstract concepts and theoretical frameworks. On the other hand, mathematical physics is a field that uses mathematical techniques to solve problems in physics. It focuses on the application of mathematics to describe and understand physical phenomena.

5. How does string theory relate to other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity?

String theory is often seen as a potential solution to the incompatibilities between quantum mechanics and general relativity. It incorporates elements of both theories and seeks to provide a framework that can explain all physical phenomena. However, it is still a subject of debate whether string theory can fully reconcile these two theories or if it will require further refinement and development.