String/ M theory and Dark Matter

In summary, the conversation involves a research project on alternative theories to dark matter, specifically looking at how string theory or M theory could explain the problem. The speaker is having difficulty finding reputable sources on this topic and asks for any suggestions. They also ask about the relationship between M theory and string theory, as well as the role of gravitons in higher dimensions. The expert summarizer explains that most solutions using string theory focus on producing a particle that could explain dark matter, and that M theory and string theory are essentially the same. They also provide a possible explanation for why gravitons can only propagate through higher dimensions.
SammyB
Hello, I am currently doing a research project on alternative theories to dark matter. I have covered all the main candidates fairly well such as nonsymmetrical gravity, conformal gravity and MOND etc. But I would really like to include a section on how string theory or M theory could explain the Dark Matter problem. The problem is that I seem to be unable to find any papers or reputible sources on this subject, I guess it is a very vauge and unexplored area at the moment, but I was wondering if anyone new of any good links or books.

Also is it true that M-theory is no longer thought of as the 'unifying' string theory and is considered to just be another version of string theory?

Is it true that gravitons are closed strings and that only closed strings can propogate through higher dimensions? If so why?

As you can probably tell I'm not very schooled at all in String Theory...I'm still an Undergraduate!

Thanks in advance

Space news on Phys.org
SammyB said:
Hello, I am currently doing a research project on alternative theories to dark matter. I have covered all the main candidates fairly well such as nonsymmetrical gravity, conformal gravity and MOND etc. But I would really like to include a section on how string theory or M theory could explain the Dark Matter problem. The problem is that I seem to be unable to find any papers or reputible sources on this subject, I guess it is a very vauge and unexplored area at the moment, but I was wondering if anyone new of any good links or books.
Most solutions that make use of ideas from string theory don't attempt to provide an alternative for dark matter, but instead attempt to explain how the theory could produce a particle that could explain dark matter. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything other than this.

SammyB said:
Also is it true that M-theory is no longer thought of as the 'unifying' string theory and is considered to just be another version of string theory?
I believe it's considered that M theory and string theory are one and the same thing, but we just didn't realize that until recently.

SammyB said:
Is it true that gravitons are closed strings and that only closed strings can propogate through higher dimensions? If so why?
If string theory is accurate, then the graviton is a state of a string. If this is correct, then a necessary conclusion is that the universe has extra dimensions. One possible way in which the extra dimensions might exist but without our ability to detect them (yet) would be if we were confined to a three-dimensional surface in this higher-dimensional space. Basically, due to the properties of the graviton state of a string, they cannot be confined to such a surface, and so necessarily spread out into the full space. Other strings that make up the normal matter around us, on the other hand, can be confined.

Related to String/ M theory and Dark Matter

What is String/M theory?

String/M theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile the two major theories of physics - general relativity and quantum mechanics. It proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny one-dimensional strings that vibrate at different frequencies, creating different types of particles.

How does String/M theory relate to the concept of multiple dimensions?

String/M theory suggests that there are more than the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time that we are familiar with. It proposes that there may be up to 11 dimensions, with the extra dimensions being compactified and therefore not easily observable in our everyday experience.

What is Dark Matter and why is it important in the study of the universe?

Dark Matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to telescopes and other instruments used to study the universe. Its existence is inferred from its gravitational effects on visible matter. Understanding Dark Matter is important because it makes up about 85% of the total mass of the universe and plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies.

What is the relationship between String/M theory and Dark Matter?

String/M theory proposes that Dark Matter may be composed of particles called "axions" that arise from the extra dimensions of the theory. These axions would interact very weakly with normal matter, making them difficult to detect. Some physicists also suggest that Dark Matter may be made up of tiny strings or other exotic particles predicted by String/M theory.

Is there any experimental evidence to support String/M theory and the existence of Dark Matter?

Although there is currently no direct experimental evidence to support String/M theory and the existence of Dark Matter, many physicists are working to develop experiments and technologies that may be able to detect and study these concepts. The Large Hadron Collider, for example, is currently searching for evidence of extra dimensions and particles predicted by String/M theory. Additionally, observations of the rotation of galaxies and the cosmic microwave background radiation provide strong evidence for the existence of Dark Matter.