Stresses in triangular plate with one edge under uniform loading

In summary, the problem involves a 45° triangular plate ABC that is built in at one side (BC) and loaded by a uniform pressure on the other side (AB). The inclined edge (AC) is traction free. The goal is to find the stresses in the plate using the stress function and appropriate boundary conditions. The correct boundary conditions for the problem involve zero displacements in the radial and tangential directions at the fixed edge (θ = 0) and a stress in the tangential direction equal to the applied pressure and zero stress in the radial direction at the free edge (θ = π/2).
roldy

Homework Statement

A 45° triangular plate ABC built in at BC and loaded by a uniform pressure p0 on the upper edge AB. The inclined edge AC is traction free. Find the stresses in the plate.

Homework Equations

Stress function:
[itex]\phi = r^2\left[A_1\cos(2\theta)+A_2+A_3\sin(2\theta)+A_4\theta\right][/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to get the stresses in the plate. I'm just having trouble setting this problem up in terms of boundary conditions. I assumed that this is a punch on a rigid half-plane since one of the sides in fully built in. If my assumption is correct, then the boundary conditions below follow.

@ [itex]\theta = 0;\ U_r = 0,\ U_\theta = 0[/itex]
@ [itex]\theta = \pi/2;\ \sigma_{\theta r} = 0,\ \sigma_{\theta \theta} = -p_0[/itex]

Are these boundary conditions correct? Attached is an image of the plate.

Attachments

• Triangular Plate.pdf
    95 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org

Your boundary conditions seem to be correct for the given problem. As you correctly mentioned, the plate can be treated as a punch on a rigid half-plane, with one side fully built in and the other side traction free.

At the fixed edge, the displacements in the radial and tangential directions are zero, as you have correctly stated. This is due to the fact that the plate is prevented from moving in these directions due to the built-in condition.

At the free edge, the stress in the tangential direction (σθθ) is equal to the applied pressure (p0), and the stress in the radial direction (σθr) is zero. This is due to the fact that the plate is free to deform in these directions, and there is no external force preventing it from doing so.

I hope this helps clarify the boundary conditions for the problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck with your solution!

Related to Stresses in triangular plate with one edge under uniform loading

1. What is the definition of "stresses" in a triangular plate?

The stresses in a triangular plate refer to the internal forces that act on the plate due to external loading. These stresses can cause the plate to deform or fail if they exceed the material's strength.

2. How is the stress distribution in a triangular plate with one edge under uniform loading?

The stress distribution in a triangular plate with one edge under uniform loading is not uniform. The highest stress occurs at the loaded edge, and it gradually decreases towards the opposite edge.

3. What factors affect the stresses in a triangular plate?

The stresses in a triangular plate are affected by the magnitude and type of loading, the plate's geometry, and the material's properties. The location of the loaded edge also plays a significant role in determining the stress distribution.

4. How is the maximum stress in a triangular plate calculated?

The maximum stress in a triangular plate can be calculated using the maximum stress theory, also known as the von Mises criterion. This theory takes into account the three principal stresses in the plate and determines the maximum equivalent stress value.

5. What is the importance of studying stresses in triangular plates?

Studying stresses in triangular plates is essential in various engineering applications, such as designing bridges, roofs, and other structures. It helps engineers determine the strength and stability of a plate under different loading conditions, ensuring the safety and reliability of the structure.