Stress-energy tensor diagonalization

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding a coordinate transformation that diagonalizes a stress-energy tensor and transforms the metric to a specific form. It is stated that this is possible in a local region, but the metric will not be constant unless the region is free of intrinsic curvature. It is also mentioned that the stress-energy tensor is diagonal only for perfect fluids in this transformed basis.
djy
This question probably applies to symmetric rank-2 tensors in general, but I've been thinking about it specifically in the context of the stress-energy tensor.

For any stress-energy tensor and any metric (with signature -, +, +, +), is it possible to find a coordinate transformation that a) diagonalizes the stress-energy tensor and b) transforms the metric to diag(-1, 1, 1, 1)?

In other words, it seems intuitive to me that, for any stress-energy tensor of a fluid element, one should be able to find an MCRF of the fluid element such that all off-diagonal components of the tensor are zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Regards b: You can always find a field of basis vectors so that the metric (in that basis) takes that form everywhere, but that vector basis won't always correspond to a coordinate field basis. Alternatively, around any point, you can always choose coords so the metric is like Minkowski space when evaluated at exactly that point, but such a metric will not be constant (that choice of coords will give different values of the metric components when evaluated at different points in the neighbourhood) unless the region is free of intrinsic curvature.

cesiumfrog said:
Regards b: You can always find a field of basis vectors so that the metric (in that basis) takes that form everywhere, but that vector basis won't always correspond to a coordinate field basis. Alternatively, around any point, you can always choose coords so the metric is like Minkowski space when evaluated at exactly that point, but such a metric will not be constant (that choice of coords will give different values of the metric components when evaluated at different points in the neighbourhood) unless the region is free of intrinsic curvature.

Thanks -- but I should have specified that my question only concerns one point in spacetime. I agree that one can't find a coordinate basis in curved spacetime where the metric is Minkowskian everywhere.

About the stress energy tensor I would have to think, but for the metric this is the very definition of the vielbein:

[tex]
g_{\mu\nu}e_{a}^{\mu}e_{b}^{\nu} = \eta_{ab}
[/tex]

which is based on the definition of a manifold which says a manifold is locally flat (and in GR thus locally Minkowski).

The stress-energy tensor is diagonal in this basis only for perfect fluids.

Ich said:
The stress-energy tensor is diagonal in this basis only for perfect fluids.

I think you mean that, for perfect fluids, the tensor is diagonal and [tex]T^{11} = T^{22} = T^{33}[/tex].

Related to Stress-energy tensor diagonalization

1. What is the stress-energy tensor and why is it important in physics?

The stress-energy tensor is a mathematical representation of the distribution of matter, energy, and momentum in a given space. It is a crucial concept in physics as it helps describe the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of gravity, as well as the curvature of spacetime.

2. What does it mean to diagonalize the stress-energy tensor?

To diagonalize the stress-energy tensor means to transform it into a simpler form where the components are arranged in a diagonal pattern. This simplification allows for easier analysis and interpretation of the tensor's properties.

3. How is the stress-energy tensor diagonalized?

The stress-energy tensor is diagonalized through the process of tensor decomposition, which involves a series of mathematical operations to transform it into a diagonal form. This can be done using various techniques such as eigendecomposition and singular value decomposition.

4. What information can be obtained from a diagonalized stress-energy tensor?

A diagonalized stress-energy tensor provides important information about the properties of matter and energy in a given space. It allows for the calculation of quantities such as energy density, pressure, and stress, which are crucial in understanding the behavior of matter and energy in a gravitational field.

5. What are the practical applications of stress-energy tensor diagonalization?

The diagonalization of the stress-energy tensor has various practical applications in physics and engineering. It is used in the study of general relativity and the prediction of gravitational effects, as well as in the design of advanced technologies such as gravitational wave detectors and space propulsion systems.