Stress due to compression of 3D object

The conversation is about calculating the stress along the yy-direction for a 3D object compressed in the zz direction. The width of the object is constant in the yy direction and can only deform along the xx direction. All stresses, except for sigma_zz, are known and equal to 0. The person is trying to write down constitutive relations, but is stuck.
Andrei Popa
Good day,

I am trying to calculate the stress along the yy-direction for a 3D object compressed in the zz direction (perpendicular to it). The width of the object (in the yy direction) is constant, and the object can only deform along the xx direction. All stresses except for sigma_zz (known) and sigma_yy (needed) are equal to 0.
I am trying to write down constitutive relations for this, but I seem to be stuck. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Andrei Popa said:
Good day,

I am trying to calculate the stress along the yy-direction for a 3D object compressed in the zz direction (perpendicular to it). The width of the object (in the yy direction) is constant, and the object can only deform along the xx direction. All stresses except for sigma_zz (known) and sigma_yy (needed) are equal to 0.
I am trying to write down constitutive relations for this, but I seem to be stuck. Thanks!
Are you starting with Hooke's law stress-strain equations? Please write the equations for the xx, yy, and zz directions.

Chet

Related to Stress due to compression of 3D object

1. What is stress due to compression of a 3D object?

Stress due to compression of a 3D object is the force applied to an object in a direction that causes the object to become shorter or more compact. This results in a decrease in the object's volume and an increase in its density.

2. How does stress due to compression affect the structural integrity of a 3D object?

Stress due to compression can cause deformation or damage to the structure of a 3D object. If the applied force is too great, it can cause the object to collapse or break.

3. What factors can contribute to stress due to compression in a 3D object?

The size, shape, and material properties of the object are the main factors that can contribute to stress due to compression. The amount and direction of the applied force also play a significant role.

4. How can stress due to compression be calculated in a 3D object?

Stress due to compression can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the object by its cross-sectional area. This gives the stress in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch or pascals.

5. What are some real-world applications of stress due to compression in 3D objects?

Stress due to compression is an important consideration in the design and construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures. It is also relevant in the study of materials science, manufacturing processes, and biomechanics.