Stress compound cylinder problem

In summary, the problem involves reinforcing a 40mm inside and 60mm outside diameter tube by shrinking a tube of 80mm outside diameter onto it. The maximum stress in each tube must be equal, and the material has a Young's modulus of 207000 N/mm^2. Using Lames equations, the maximum stress is determined to be 83.3MPa on the inside of the cylinder and 33.3MPa on the outside. It is also assumed that the compound cylinder is made of the same material. The stress due to the interference fit and internal pressure must both be calculated.
jakeward46

Homework Statement

A tube 40mm inside and 60mm outside dia is to be reinforced by shrinking on a tube of 80mm outside diameter. The compound tube is subjected to an internal pressure of 50MPa and the shrinkage allowance is such that the final maximum stress in each tube is the same. Determine the maximum stress and the difference in tube diameter before shrinkage. E=207000 N/mm^2

Homework Equations

Lames equations:
Radial stress σr=A-B/r^2
Hoop stress σθ=A+B/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive attempted the first part of the question however i have ended up with a negative maximum stress which cannot be. If someone could point out my mistake or give advice that would be great :)

Attachments

• IMG_3623.jpg
    IMG_3623.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 954
Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, a negative stress indicates the member is in compression.

Ok thanks, so my answer is an acceptable one? I didn't think that would apply to cylinders.

I have just worked the calculation again and got A=16666687.5 and B=26666.7 and subbing into lames eqautuon for hoop stress in and out

σθin= 83.3MPa

σθout= 33.3MPa

this seems a more realistic answer, showing max stress is in the inside of the cylinder. ?

just looked at your working how did you now that the compound cylinder was made up of the same material, is that from the one value of young's modulus? also did you work out the stress produced from the shrink fit not just the internal pressure?

Last edited:
Yes as there is only one youngs mod given i would of thought it is the same material?

Ive been working on it and i have worked out the stress due to interference fit first and then calulated with internal pressure. not realising i had to to this at first.

:)

Related to Stress compound cylinder problem

What is the "Stress compound cylinder problem"?

The "Stress compound cylinder problem" is a common engineering problem that involves calculating the stress and strain on a cylinder that is subjected to both internal and external pressure. It is often used in the design of pressure vessels and pipes.

How do you calculate the stress and strain in the compound cylinder?

To calculate the stress and strain in a compound cylinder, you can use the Lamé equations. These equations take into account the thickness, radius, and material properties of the cylinder, as well as the internal and external pressures acting on it. By solving these equations, you can determine the stress and strain at any point in the cylinder.

What factors can affect the stress and strain in a compound cylinder?

The stress and strain in a compound cylinder can be affected by several factors, including the material properties of the cylinder, the thickness and radius of the cylinder, the magnitude of the internal and external pressures, and the geometry of the cylinder. Other factors such as temperature and external loads may also have an impact.

What are some real-world applications of the stress compound cylinder problem?

The stress compound cylinder problem has many practical applications in engineering and industry. It is commonly used in the design and analysis of pressure vessels, pipes, and other cylindrical structures that are subjected to internal and external pressures. It is also relevant in fields such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing, where cylinders are used in various components and systems.

Are there any limitations to using the stress compound cylinder problem?

While the stress compound cylinder problem is a useful tool in engineering design, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the material is homogeneous and isotropic, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it does not account for factors such as material fatigue, plastic deformation, or stress concentrations, which may affect the accuracy of the results.