Strength of electric field given potential difference

In summary, the strength of the electric field between two parallel conducting plates separated by 1.00 cm and having a potential difference of 1.50×104 V can be calculated using the equation E = ΔV/d, which results in an electric field strength of 1.5x106 N/C. This can also be expressed in units of V/m.
Mickael14

Homework Statement

What is the strength of the electric field between two parallel conducting plates separated by 1.00 cm and having a potential difference (voltage) between them of 1.50×104 V?

Homework Equations

ΔV = qΔU
ΔV = -∫E⋅dl
E = kq/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to start. I am looking at the equations available, and I can't seem to figure out where to go from here. I have been struggling with this course in general. If someone could help me out with this, I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I got it. :)
I forgot that qΔV = W and W = Fd, then I can use the substitution F = qE to get qEd = qΔV
So,
E = ΔV/d
E = (1.50x104)/(.01) = 1.5x106 N/C

Mickael14 said:
E = ΔV/d
Yes, that is the correct equation for this simple geometry. Good work, and Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Likes Mickael14
Mickael14 said:
E = (1.50x104)/(.01) = 1.5x106 N/C
BTW, the usual units for E-field are V/m. Can you show the equivalence between V/m and N/C?

Likes Mickael14
berkeman said:
BTW, the usual units for E-field are V/m. Can you show the equivalence between V/m and N/C?
Oh, sorry I put in in N/C because that is what we had been using. Forgot to change.

Related to Strength of electric field given potential difference

1. What is the formula for calculating the strength of an electric field given a potential difference?

The formula for calculating the strength of an electric field (E) given a potential difference (V) is E = V/d, where d is the distance between the two points in the electric field. This formula is known as the electric field strength formula.

2. How does the strength of an electric field vary with potential difference?

The strength of an electric field is directly proportional to the potential difference between two points. This means that as the potential difference increases, the strength of the electric field also increases.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the strength of an electric field?

The unit of measurement for the strength of an electric field is volts per meter (V/m). This unit represents the amount of potential difference (in volts) per unit of distance (in meters).

4. Can the strength of an electric field be negative?

Yes, the strength of an electric field can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the potential difference. In other words, the electric field is pointing from the lower potential point to the higher potential point.

5. How does the distance between two points affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is inversely proportional to the distance between two points. This means that as the distance between two points increases, the strength of the electric field decreases. In other words, the electric field becomes weaker as you move further away from the source of the potential difference.