Streamline and free surface profile

In summary, the conversation is about a person's interest in solitary traveling waves, specifically the relationship between the full hydrodynamical equations and the KdV equations. They are wondering if they can determine the amplitude of a solitary wave by measuring the height of the streamline relative to the free surface. They also mention using Mathematica to plot the streamlines and their lack of background in this field.
hanson
In a linear shear flow with the free surface being a solitary wave, shall this free surface solitary wave profile coincides with a streamline representing the flow?

I have plotted out the streamline of the flow. The streamlines look like the profile of a solitary wave. However the streamline corresponding to the free surface do not really coincides the solitary wave profile exactly. I am wondering if it is an error with my computation or what.

What comments do you have?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again, hanson,

I see you are quite fascinated by solitons, which are indeed fascinating, but somehow you never provide enough detail for me to figure out what your question is! As far as I can tell, you seem to be reading various books and you seem to be particularly interested in "solitary traveling waves", such as the famous "Russell sech solition", which can arise under appropriate circumstances as shallow water waves. You seem to be asking here about the relationship between the full hydrodynamical equations and the KdV (or some other equations) which arise from appropriate limiting cases. If so, you might try chapter 1 of Soliton Theory and Its Applications, ed. by Gu Chaohao, Springer-Beijing, 1990.

Thanks Chris Hillman.
I am sorry for not providing enough information.
Since I am new to this field, I don't have a solid background or good concepts about these things. Thanks for your recommendation.

Indeed, I am looking at the streamline pattern of a solitary traveling wave. I have the streamline determined somehow and used mathematica to plot the streamlines. I am wondering if I could find the amplitude of the solitary traveling wave by reading the streamline?

The streamline pattern is "wave-like" and I am wondering if the wave amplitude can be determined by measuring the height of the streamline relative to the free surface?

Related to Streamline and free surface profile

1. What is the purpose of streamlining and free surface profile in fluid dynamics?

The purpose of streamlining and free surface profile is to study and understand the behavior of fluids, specifically in regards to the flow around objects and the shape of free surfaces. This information is important in fields such as aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and ship design.

2. How does streamlining affect the flow of a fluid?

Streamlining, also known as aerodynamic shaping, reduces the drag on an object moving through a fluid by creating a smooth and streamlined shape. This allows the fluid to flow more easily around the object, resulting in less resistance and a more efficient movement.

3. What is a free surface profile and why is it important?

A free surface profile is the shape or height of a liquid's surface that is not constrained by a solid surface. It is important because it can greatly affect the behavior of the fluid, such as in the case of waves or the movement of ships on the surface of the ocean.

4. What factors influence the streamline and free surface profile of a fluid?

The streamline and free surface profile of a fluid are influenced by factors such as the viscosity of the fluid, the speed and direction of the flow, and the shape and surface characteristics of any objects or boundaries present in the fluid.

5. How do scientists study streamline and free surface profile in fluids?

Scientists study streamline and free surface profile in fluids through experimental methods, such as wind tunnel tests and water tank experiments, as well as through mathematical models and computer simulations. These techniques allow for a better understanding of fluid behavior and can aid in the design and optimization of various systems and structures.