Strange request from research advisor

In summary, an advisor told a junior author to put their name first on a fellowship application even though the junior author's main advisor looked at the draft and said it should be the junior author's name first. The junior author followed the advice and felt guilty for it for two years. Ultimately, the advisor was not trying to get the junior author into trouble.
Physics_UG
Gold Member
So I was 3rd author of a paper published by our group. I then applied for a fellowship which requested me to describe my research activities. I cited the paper I had my name on. My advisor reviewed the application and told me to put my name first on the fellowship application. She even wrote on the draft in red ink to put my name as first author. Stupidly, I complied with this request thinking it might help me get awarded the fellowship. To this day I feel guilty for doing that (this was 2 years ago). Was I being set up by my advisor? This was a more junior advisor. My main advisor also looked at the draft with the citation. Was the junior advisor trying to get me in trouble?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm that *is* odd.

Usually when given the choice between malicious intent and ignorance, in most cases I find it's best to assume ignorance. People don't usually get into the position of academic advisor by trying to get those they are advising into trouble. I suspect she was honestly trying to help. And from what I understand, there are fields where author order is not all that important.

At this point, it's probably not worth worrying too much about as it's water under the bridge. You were given some poor advice, by someone who should know about such things, and you followed it. Further, you learned from it.

I think my field is one which author order matters since the list of authors is usually under 5 people.

Anyways, this was a long time ago and I never got in trouble for it. I agree she was probably not trying to get me in trouble. However, it seemed that her opinion of me seemed to fluctuate. like one day she'd tell me I am doing a good job and progressing fast and the next day she will say to someone within ear shot of me that they thought I was going to be good because of my research background in undergrad but I turned out to be a bad student.

Related to Strange request from research advisor

1. What kind of strange request might a research advisor make?

A strange request from a research advisor could vary, but it could involve asking the researcher to conduct an experiment outside of their field of expertise, requesting unethical or illegal actions, or asking the researcher to manipulate data.

2. How should I respond to a strange request from my research advisor?

It is important to respond professionally and respectfully to your research advisor. If the request makes you uncomfortable or goes against ethical guidelines, it is appropriate to politely decline and explain your reasoning. If the request is unclear or confusing, it is best to ask for clarification.

3. What should I do if my research advisor's strange request is illegal or unethical?

If a research advisor's request violates ethical guidelines or is illegal, it is important to bring it to the attention of the appropriate authorities, such as the university's ethics board or legal department. It is also important to document the request and any actions taken.

4. Could a strange request from a research advisor harm my career or reputation?

If a research advisor's request goes against ethical guidelines or could harm your career or reputation, it is important to document the request and any actions taken. It is also important to seek guidance from other advisors or mentors to determine the best course of action.

5. How can I prevent receiving strange requests from my research advisor?

To prevent receiving strange requests from a research advisor, it is important to establish clear boundaries and expectations at the beginning of the research project. It is also important to regularly communicate and check in with your research advisor to ensure that you are both on the same page. If a strange request is made, it is important to address it immediately and discuss any concerns with your advisor.