Strange question about drugs/vitamins and brain power

In summary: I did not find anything that specifically pertains to what I am looking for.In summary, there are no known drugs or supplements that people take to increase their brain power. Anything to go on that you think relates to what I am asking? I had a hard time finding anything on google. All I got was hippie potions and erectile pills :)
nukeman
Just to let you know, this is for something I am writing. Well, its not the main topic, just a little something I wanted to expand on.

Is there any known drugs/vitamins/supplements that people take to increase their "Brain power" ? By brain power, I just mean anything from increasing concentration, to increasing creativeness?

Anything to go on that you think relates to what I am asking. I had a hard time finding anything on google. All I got was hippie potions and erectile pills :)

Thanks all!

Biology news on Phys.org
nukeman said:
Just to let you know, this is for something I am writing. Well, its not the main topic, just a little something I wanted to expand on.

Is there any known drugs/vitamins/supplements that people take to increase their "Brain power" ? By brain power, I just mean anything from increasing concentration, to increasing creativeness?

Anything to go on that you think relates to what I am asking. I had a hard time finding anything on google. All I got was hippie potions and erectile pills :)

Thanks all!

I believe fish oil (omega 13) helps the brain as well as the heart.

nukeman said:
anything from increasing concentration, to increasing creativeness?
I'm not sure one can answer. I mean -legally speaking.

But one thing: you're looking for opposite effects. So you can take erectile pills to increase concentration and hippie potions to increase creativeness, but both at the same time won't work.

Any claims of effectiveness need to be supported by links to mainstream research. Just a reminder from your friendly Mentors... o:)

berkeman said:
Any claims of effectiveness need to be supported by links to mainstream research. Just a reminder from your friendly Mentors... o:)

That is what I am looking for. Something that is supported by mainstream research.

Aniracetam, piracetam, vinpocetine, fish oil, ginko, centrophenoxine, etc...

There are people who lift weights and take protein powders and other junk, and then there are students who like to study and take "brain" supplements like the ones that I just listed. Then you have people who take prescription drugs to gain an edge over other students...

berkeman said:
Here is some interesting info from WebMD, although it is focusing more on preventing memory loss:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-lifestyle-guide/fortifying-your-memory-with-supplements

And also from WebMD, a survey of claims about things to improve concentration:

http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/slideshow-brain-foods-that-help-you-concentrate

the GNC sponsorship is an instant turnoff for me.

some things i wouldn't argue with tho, like fish oils.

as for vitamins, i'd like to add cobalamin (B-12), since it is a favorite of mine. and since students trying to survive on ramen might find their status running a bit low at some point.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/72/3/762.long

http://www.ajcn.org/content/75/5/908.long

some things like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphatidyl_serine" are interesting, if expensive in supplement form, but you can get sufficient amounts from cheap things like lecithin.

and speaking of sufficiency, dietary sufficiency takes care of most things. it's really hard to say how much more you can get from most vitamins and supplements once you reach sufficiency.

drugs? well, i guess it's pretty well known that we routinely prescribe stimulants to certain people to boost academic performance. I've even got my own preferred OTC stim that helps me do better on tests that I've been using since age 15 or so. long-term overuse degrades performance when it comes to most such things, tho. i really have no opinions on nootropics like some of the alzheimer's drugs. what little i read from people taking them seems to indicate that results are pretty variable.

Last edited by a moderator:
nukeman said:

Thanks all!

No.

Even in my limited knowledge brain function relies on biochemistry but I can't see how taking vitamins will make you think better. Only that it will stop you from thinking worse.

That said couldn't hurt...

Taking Cod liver oil might help you stave off certain conditions but stupidity probably isn't one of them.

Related to Strange question about drugs/vitamins and brain power

1. Can drugs or vitamins really improve brain power?

There is limited scientific evidence to support the claim that drugs or vitamins can significantly improve brain power. While some substances may have short-term effects on mental alertness or focus, there is currently no conclusive research showing long-term benefits.

2. Are there any drugs or vitamins that are proven to enhance cognitive function?

No drugs or vitamins have been scientifically proven to enhance cognitive function. Some may claim to have benefits, but these claims are often not backed by rigorous scientific studies.

3. Are there any side effects of using drugs or vitamins to boost brain power?

Yes, there can be potential side effects of using drugs or vitamins to boost brain power. These can include headaches, nausea, and changes in mood or behavior. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before taking any substances for cognitive enhancement.

4. Can certain nutrients or dietary changes improve brain function?

While there is no specific "brain food" or dietary change that has been proven to enhance brain function, maintaining a healthy and balanced diet can support overall brain health. Consuming a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats can provide the nutrients needed for optimal brain function.

5. Is it safe to use nootropics or "smart drugs" to improve cognitive performance?

The safety of using nootropics or "smart drugs" to improve cognitive performance is still unclear. Some may have potential risks and long-term effects that are not yet fully understood. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional and carefully research any substance before using it for cognitive enhancement purposes.