Math, science and bridge (+other games)

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's love for playing card games and board games, particularly bridge. They also mention other games they enjoy playing such as Winmine, Reversi, Chinese Chess, Chinese checkers, Hex, Dots, and Solitaire. They plan to learn GO and chess in the upcoming summer holiday. The speaker expresses disappointment in not being able to join a chess tournament due to not knowing how to play. They also mention their interest in AI beating humans in games. The conversation ends with the speaker wondering if most people interested in math also enjoy playing bridge.

What do you like to play ?

• I love math and I like playing bridge

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Bridge

• Hearts

• Chinese Chess

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Chess

• Go

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Checkers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Winmine

• Reversi

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Others (Please Specify)

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
KLscilevothma
Well, I want to know what kind of games (preferably card games and board games) do you like to play. I specify the card game, bridge because people around me always give me the impression that if they love math, probably they also love playing bridge. Do you find people interested in math love playing bridge also?

I love playing bridge and in summer holidays, I can stay up for a whole night and play online bridge (have a stable bridge partner). I've taught a few friends how to play but it seems that they aren't that interested in it.

I also love playing Winmine, so does my math teacher! I also love playing Reversi, Chinese Chess, Chinese checkers, Hex, Dots, Solitaire, etc. I'll learn GO and chess in the coming summer holiday. What a pity that I can't join the Chess Tournament in PF as I don't know how to play.

Edit: If you tick option #1, please tick option #2 as well coz I want to know if most math people like playing bridge:wink:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I play Chess from time to time, but I am pretty terrible at it! I love watching AI start beating humans at all these games!

What is the importance of math and science in bridge and other games?

Math and science are integral in understanding the strategic and logical aspects of bridge and other games. They help players calculate probabilities, plan ahead, and make informed decisions.

How does math and science contribute to the development of new strategies in bridge and other games?

Through the use of mathematical and scientific principles, players can analyze game patterns, identify weaknesses, and create new strategies to improve their gameplay.

What are some common mathematical concepts used in bridge and other games?

Some common mathematical concepts used in bridge and other games include probability, statistics, logic, and geometry. These concepts help players make calculated moves and decisions.

How does the study of math and science enhance the overall gaming experience?

Studying math and science can enhance the overall gaming experience by providing players with a deeper understanding of the game mechanics, allowing them to appreciate the complexities and strategies involved.

How can the principles of math and science be applied to everyday life through playing bridge and other games?

The principles of math and science used in bridge and other games can be applied to everyday life by improving critical thinking skills, decision making, and problem-solving abilities. These skills are useful in various aspects of life, such as work, relationships, and personal development.