Strange Phenomena when the Sun is low on the horizon?

In summary: The effect would be in the ratio of sound speed to speed difference (squared, probably). But the very audible difference must be in the region of a few dB so it has to be 'geometrical' focussing effect due to the distortion of the sphere rather than its actual speed of movement.
gary350
I live about 1/4 mile from the Interstate Highway. I am far enough away the traffic can not be heard until the sun is very low on the horizon. Every even for about 1 hour when the sun is very low it sounds like the interstate traffic is in my back yard. It is so loud it is just like standing next to the highway. Once the sun goes on down traffic can not be heard.

Also I built a very good TV antenna. I receive 46 crystal clear station from 40 miles away. The antenna is over kill on purpose no matter how bad the weather gets, rains, snows, fog, hail, tornado, wind, trees, nothing blocks the signal we get crystal clean TV reception. But every day for about 1 hour when the sun is very low on the horizon TV reception for several station is zero and other stations break up too bad to watch.

What does the sun have to do with these 2 strange phenomena?

Physics news on Phys.org
gary350 said:
I live about 1/4 mile from the Interstate Highway. I am far enough away the traffic can not be heard until the sun is very low on the horizon. Every even for about 1 hour when the sun is very low it sounds like the interstate traffic is in my back yard. It is so loud it is just like standing next to the highway. Once the sun goes on down traffic can not be heard.

Could be refraction:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/refrac.html
https://www.ec.gc.ca/foudre-lightning/default.asp?lang=En&n=4EFD3A52-1

Likes Tazerfish
KarenRei said:
Easy one - it means your local weather involves inversion layers around sunset:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversion_(meteorology)#Consequences

:)
It may be worth while explaining how it works. The speed of sound is roughly proportional to the temperature. When there is cold air near the ground an warm air above, the waves overhead travel faster than the waves along the ground and this has a focussing effect which bends the sound energy that normally goes way over your head and brings it down to ground again.
There's a similar effect when the wind is blowing towards you and there can be a velocity gradient (lower speed air near the ground due to drag and higher wind speed at height) This also has a focussing effect due to a very small phase advance in the sound traveling at height and is not, as people say, because the sound is 'blown towards you'.

sophiecentaur said:
...and is not, as people say, because the sound is 'blown towards you'.
Not primarily, because winds are much slower than the speed of sound. But it also has a slight effect.

A.T. said:
Not primarily, because winds are much slower than the speed of sound. But it also has a slight effect.
What wind speed were you considering? What is "slight"? Isn't the main effect that you're referring to a difference in propagation time (which is what causes the focussing))
The focussing effect due to wind shear is significant.

sophiecentaur said:
Isn't the main effect that you're referring to a difference in propagation time
And longer propagation time means the energy is distributed over a larger area, thus decreasing intensity.

Inverse square law. Yes it must be there and possibly measurable. How far does the ISL 'sphere' move, I wonder? The effect would be in the ratio of sound speed to speed difference (squared, probably). But the very audible difference must be in the region of a few dB so it has to be 'geometrical' focussing effect due to the distortion of the sphere rather than its actual speed of movement.

1. What causes the "green flash" phenomenon when the Sun is low on the horizon?

The "green flash" phenomenon when the Sun is low on the horizon is caused by the refraction of light through the Earth's atmosphere. As the Sun's light passes through the atmosphere, the shorter blue and green wavelengths are scattered, leaving only the longer red wavelengths to be seen. However, when the Sun is near the horizon, the light must pass through a greater thickness of atmosphere, causing the blue and green wavelengths to scatter less and allowing them to be seen as a brief flash of green light.

2. Why does the Sun appear larger when it is low on the horizon?

The Sun appears larger when it is low on the horizon due to an optical illusion known as the Ponzo illusion. This illusion occurs when the brain interprets objects in the distance as being larger than objects closer to us. As the Sun approaches the horizon, it appears farther away, causing our brain to perceive it as larger than when it is higher in the sky.

3. What causes the "Belt of Venus" when the Sun is low on the horizon?

The "Belt of Venus" is a pinkish band of light that appears above the horizon just after sunset or before sunrise. This phenomenon is caused by the Earth's atmosphere scattering the light from the Sun. As the Sun dips below the horizon, its light is no longer able to reach the top layers of the atmosphere, leaving only the red and pink wavelengths to be scattered and creating the "Belt of Venus" effect.

4. Why do shadows appear longer when the Sun is low on the horizon?

Shadows appear longer when the Sun is low on the horizon due to the angle of the Sun's rays. When the Sun is higher in the sky, its rays are more direct and create shorter shadows. However, when the Sun is low on the horizon, its rays are at a lower angle and create longer shadows. This effect is most noticeable during sunrise and sunset when the Sun's angle is at its lowest.

5. How does the Sun's low position on the horizon affect the colors of the sky?

When the Sun is low on the horizon, the colors of the sky can appear more vibrant and varied. This is because the lower angle of the Sun's rays causes the light to pass through a greater thickness of atmosphere, scattering more of the shorter blue and green wavelengths and allowing the longer red and orange wavelengths to dominate. This creates the beautiful oranges, pinks, and purples often seen during sunrise and sunset.