Strain-stress, cross sectional, elongation

In summary, the answer to the first question is that the original 500mm length will increase by 8.5mm. The answer to the second question is that alloys that have a yield strength of 70GPa, a tensile strength of 255MPa, and an elasticity module of 420MPa are possible candidates.
ruffryder
Hey guys, I will admit that I am having extra troubles on this chapter and I don't understand most of it so be gentle :\. Anyways I realize these problems are porbably easy but here they are:

1) A Load of 140,000 N (31,500lbf) is applied to a cylindrical specimen of a steel alloy that has a cross-sectional diameter of 10mm. If the original specimen length is 500mm (20in.) how much will it increase in length when this load is applied?

so i think its load/original cross sectional area? 140,000/ 10,000 = 14.0

the real answer is 8.5mm. how do i get there?

2)A cylindrical rod 500mm long, having a diameter of 12.7mm is to be subjected to a tensile load. If the rod is to experience neither plastic deformation nor an elongation of more than 1.3mm when the applied load is 29,000N which of the four metals or alloys are possible candidates.

Aluminum alloy 70GPa, 255MPa yield strength, 420MPa tensile strength
Brass Alloy 100, 345 , 420
Copper 110, 210 , 275
Steel Alloy 207, 450 , 550

The answer is steel and brass. I have no clue how to do this one. So you don't have to answer it

Physics news on Phys.org
ruffryder said:
Hey guys, I will admit that I am having extra troubles on this chapter and I don't understand most of it so be gentle :\. Anyways I realize these problems are porbably easy but here they are:

1) A Load of 140,000 N (31,500lbf) is applied to a cylindrical specimen of a steel alloy that has a cross-sectional diameter of 10mm. If the original specimen length is 500mm (20in.) how much will it increase in length when this load is applied?

so i think its load/original cross sectional area? 140,000/ 10,000 = 14.0

the real answer is 8.5mm. how do i get there?

2)A cylindrical rod 500mm long, having a diameter of 12.7mm is to be subjected to a tensile load. If the rod is to experience neither plastic deformation nor an elongation of more than 1.3mm when the applied load is 29,000N which of the four metals or alloys are possible candidates.

Aluminum alloy 70GPa, 255MPa yield strength, 420MPa tensile strength
Brass Alloy 100, 345 , 420
Copper 110, 210 , 275
Steel Alloy 207, 450 , 550

The answer is steel and brass. I have no clue how to do this one. So you don't have to answer it

1) The expression for elongation is [tex]\Delta l = \frac{F\cdot l}{E \cdot A}[/tex], where l is the length before deformation, F if, of course, the applied load, E the elasticity module for steel, and A the area of the cross section. I hope this works.

2) A similar problem - after solving 1), you should have a clue.

ya thnx for the response, i think i can take it from here.

Related to Strain-stress, cross sectional, elongation

1. What is the relationship between strain and stress?

The relationship between strain and stress is known as Hooke's Law, which states that the strain applied to a material is directly proportional to the stress being applied, as long as the material remains within its elastic limit. This means that as the stress increases, the strain on the material also increases.

2. What is meant by cross sectional area?

Cross sectional area refers to the area of a material that is perpendicular to the direction in which the stress is being applied. This area is important in calculating the stress on a material, as it affects the amount of force that is being distributed on the material.

3. How is elongation measured?

Elongation is measured by calculating the change in length of a material when subjected to stress. This is typically expressed as a percentage of the original length of the material. It is an important factor in determining the ductility and tensile strength of a material.

4. What factors can affect the strain-stress relationship?

The strain-stress relationship can be affected by a number of factors, including the type of material, its composition, temperature, and the rate at which stress is applied. These factors can alter the behavior of the material and change its elastic properties.

5. How does strain-stress analysis help in material testing?

Strain-stress analysis is an important tool in material testing as it allows scientists to understand the mechanical properties of a material and how it responds to different types of stress. This information is crucial in designing and selecting materials for specific applications, as well as in predicting their performance under different conditions.