Stopping a Box of Unknown Mass on Frictionless Floor

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a box sliding on a frictionless floor with an initial speed of 4.7 m/s and encountering a rough region with a coefficient of friction of µk = 0.3. The main question is what is the shortest length of rough floor that will stop the box. The conversation also includes the relevant equations and a discussion on how to determine the normal force and frictional force. The solution is ultimately found using the formula F = ma = µ*m*g.
TG3

Homework Statement

A box of unknown mass slides across a frictionless floor with an initial speed of 4.7 m/s. It encounters a rough region where the coefficient of friction is µk = 0.3
Part 1:
What is the shortest length of rough floor which will stop the box?
Part 2:
What is the shortest length of rough floor which will stop the box?

Homework Equations

vf^2 = vi^2 + 2a delta x.
Frictional force = mew times the normal force

The Attempt at a Solution

Final velocity = 0, so
0 = 4.7 ^2 + 2A delta x.
A = the frictional force.
How can I determine the normal force (and after that, the frictional force, and after that, the change in distance) if I don't know the weight of the box? Is there another way to do this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
F = ma = μ*m*g

a = μ*g

Does that help?

Yes- it certainly does. With that I was able to solve both parts of the problem. I'm writing that formula down for future reference...

TG3 said:
Yes- it certainly does. With that I was able to solve both parts of the problem. I'm writing that formula down for future reference...

Better to understand it and remember it forever.

Related to Stopping a Box of Unknown Mass on Frictionless Floor

1. How can I determine the mass of the box on a frictionless floor?

The mass of the box can be determined by using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration. By measuring the force required to stop the box and knowing the acceleration due to gravity, the mass of the box can be calculated.

2. What is the role of friction in stopping the box?

In this scenario, friction plays no role in stopping the box as the floor is frictionless. This means that there is no opposing force to the motion of the box, allowing it to move freely and not slow down due to friction.

3. Can the box be stopped without any external force?

No, it is not possible to stop the box without any external force. This is because of the principle of inertia, which states that an object will continue in its current state of motion unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, the external force is required to overcome the inertia of the box and bring it to a stop.

4. How does the speed of the box affect the force needed to stop it?

The force needed to stop the box is directly proportional to the speed of the box. This means that the faster the box is moving, the more force will be required to bring it to a stop. This is because a higher speed means a greater amount of inertia that needs to be overcome.

5. What other factors may affect the stopping of the box?

Aside from mass and speed, the size and shape of the box may also affect its stopping distance. A larger or more aerodynamic box may require less force to bring to a stop compared to a smaller or less aerodynamic box. The surface of the floor may also play a role, as a rougher surface may provide some amount of friction and require more force to stop the box.