Build a Wooden Car: Tips for Designing and Powering Your All-Wood Vehicle

• Thread starter amt86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build Car
In summary, The speaker is seeking help for building a car out of wood and wood glue powered by a person sitting in the "cab". The car must travel 30 meters and earn more points for every extra person it can fit. The only materials allowed are wood, wood glue, and water for lubrication. They are looking for ideas on how to transmit power from the pedals/crank/whatever to the wheels, such as using large wheels turned by hand or having riders move it forward with their feet. They also ask about a minimum speed requirement and the availability of materials and construction tools.
amt86
I really need help! I along with 4 other people have to build a car out of ONLY wood and wood glue. The car must be powered by a person sitting in the "cab" of the car. It must travel 30 meters. For every extra person we fit in the car we earn more points. The only rule is that we can only use wood and wood glue...and water to lubricate if needed...NOTHING else! What would be the best way to transmit power from the pedals/crank/whatever to the wheels? Please help any ideas would be VERY, VERY, VERY, appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can it be moved like a wheelchair? (large wheels turned by hand?)

Or simply let the riders move it forward with their feet ala "Fred Flintstone"!

Is there a minimum speed requirement?
What kind of materials/costruction tools do you have available?
Did you have any ideas?

1. How do I choose the right type of wood for my car?

When selecting wood for your car, it's important to consider the strength, weight, and durability of the wood. Hardwoods such as oak, maple, and birch are typically stronger and more durable than softwoods like pine and cedar. It's also important to choose wood that is free of knots and imperfections, as these can weaken the structure of the car.

2. What tools will I need to build a wooden car?

To build a wooden car, you will need basic woodworking tools such as a saw, drill, sandpaper, and clamps. Depending on the complexity of your design, you may also need more specialized tools like a router or jigsaw. It's important to have a well-stocked tool kit and to always use tools safely and correctly.

3. How can I make my wooden car more aerodynamic?

To improve the aerodynamics of your wooden car, you can use techniques such as streamlining the body, reducing the overall weight, and adding aerodynamic features such as a spoiler or air vent. It's also important to test your design in a wind tunnel or with scale models to determine the most effective aerodynamic features for your car.

4. What are some options for powering a wooden car?

There are a few options for powering a wooden car, including using a small electric motor, a rubber band or spring-powered mechanism, or a gravity-powered design. Each option has its own advantages and limitations, so it's important to research and test which power source will work best for your specific design.

5. Are there any special safety considerations when building a wooden car?

Yes, safety is always a top priority when working with tools and building projects. When building a wooden car, it's important to wear proper protective gear, such as safety glasses and gloves. It's also crucial to follow all safety precautions when using power tools and to always work in a well-ventilated area. Additionally, it's important to thoroughly test and inspect your car before using it, and to always supervise children when they are using the car.