Stokes Parameters - Fraction of Linear/Circular Polarization

In summary, Stokes Parameters are four numbers that describe the polarization state of a light wave, developed by George Gabriel Stokes in 1852. Linear polarization refers to the orientation of the electric field vector of a light wave, while circular polarization occurs when the electric field vector rotates in a circular motion. The fraction of linear polarization is calculated by dividing the difference between the two largest Stokes Parameters by the sum of all four parameters, and the fraction of circular polarization is calculated by dividing the difference between the two circularly polarized Stokes Parameters by the sum of all four parameters.
Silversonic

Homework Statement

The electric field of an electromagnetic wave is given by;

E = [itex]Re(\frac{1}{\sqrt{13}}E_{0}(2\widehat{x}+ 3i\widehat{y})e^{i(kz-wt)})[/itex]

Identify the polarization state.

Homework Equations

[itex] I = |E_{x}|^{2} + |E_{y}|^{2} [/itex]

[itex] Q = |E_{x}|^{2} - |E_{y}|^{2} [/itex]

[itex] U = |E_{a}|^{2} - |E_{b}|^{2} [/itex]

[itex] V = |E_{l}|^{2} - |E_{r}|^{2} [/itex][itex] I^{2} = Q^{2} + U^{2} + V^{2} [/itex]

Fraction of Linear Polarization = [itex]\frac{\sqrt{Q^{2} + U^{2}}}{I}[/itex]

Fraction of Circular Polarization = [itex]\frac{\sqrt{V}}{I}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I won't go through the full-workings out because it'll take my days to write it, but my main concern is the formula for the fractions of linear and circular polarization.

Taking

[itex] E_{x} = \frac{-5}{\sqrt{13}}E_{0}e^{i(kz-wt)}[/itex]

[itex]E_{y} = \frac{3i}{\sqrt{13}}E_{0}e^{i(kz-wt)} [/itex]

I obtain

[itex] I = E_{0}^{2}[/itex]

[itex]Q = \frac{-5}{13}E_{0}^{2} [/itex]

[itex]U = 0 [/itex]

[itex]V = \frac{12}{13}E_{0}^{2} [/itex]

My answers tell me it is 85% circularly polarized and 15% linearly polarized.

But shoving the values for U, Q and I in the "fraction of linear polarization formula" we obtain 5/13, and similarly the "fraction of circular polarization" we obtain 12/13, which aren't the same as the percentages given in the answer. However if I square the value gotten in those formulas I get the answer given, so should I have this instead;

Fraction of Linear Polarization = [itex]\frac{Q^{2} + U^{2}}{I^{2}}[/itex]

Fraction of Circular Polarization = [itex]\frac{V^{2}}{I^{2}}[/itex]

?

I can't find formulas anywhere in my text-books or on the internet that will tell me the actual answer, so I need this forum's help. I also don't understand why we don't take the real part of the formula first before deciding what the x and y-components of the electric field are.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it because the real part doesn't affect the polarization state?

Your calculations for the fractions of linear and circular polarization are correct. The reason why you are getting different percentages is because you are using the wrong formula for calculating the fraction of linear polarization.

The correct formula is:

Fraction of Linear Polarization = \frac{\sqrt{Q^{2} + U^{2}}}{I}

This formula takes into account the magnitude of the x and y components of the electric field, while the formula you were using (\frac{Q^{2} + U^{2}}{I^{2}}) only takes into account their squares.

To answer your question about taking the real part of the formula, it is not necessary to do so in this case because the real part will not affect the polarization state. In general, when dealing with complex numbers, we only need to take the real part if we are interested in the actual physical quantity (in this case, the electric field), rather than just the polarization state.

Related to Stokes Parameters - Fraction of Linear/Circular Polarization

What are Stokes Parameters?

Stokes Parameters are a set of four numbers that describe the polarization state of a light wave. They were developed by Irish mathematician George Gabriel Stokes in 1852.

What is Linear Polarization?

Linear polarization refers to the orientation of the electric field vector of a light wave. If the electric field vector remains in a fixed direction as the wave travels, it is considered linearly polarized.

What is Circular Polarization?

Circular polarization occurs when the electric field vector rotates in a circular motion as the wave travels. It can be either right-handed or left-handed, depending on the direction of rotation.

What is the Fraction of Linear Polarization?

The fraction of linear polarization is a measure of the amount of linear polarization in a light wave. It is calculated by dividing the difference between the two largest Stokes Parameters by the sum of all four parameters.

What is the Fraction of Circular Polarization?

The fraction of circular polarization is a measure of the amount of circular polarization in a light wave. It is calculated by dividing the difference between the two circularly polarized Stokes Parameters by the sum of all four parameters.