Stoichiometry: Identify the metal and formula of it

In summary, a chemist has a 0.250g sample of a lanthanide metal and reacts it with excess HCl to form a compound with the formula MCl2, MCl3, or MCl4. Based on the reaction, the metal is identified as samarium (Sm) and the chemical formula of the product is SmCl3. The hydrogen gas produced during the reaction is not necessary to include in the equation.
Sho Kano

Homework Statement

All of the lanthanide metals (La through Lu) react with HCL to form compounds having eithe the formula MCl2, MCl3, MCl4, (where M represents the metallic element). Each metal forms a single compound. A chemist has a 0.250g sample of a lanthanide metal, and she wishes to identify the metal. She reacts the metal with excess HCl and obtains 0.427g of the product. Based on this information, identify the metal and write the chemical formula of the product.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure the below equation is correct. I originally wrote the equation without the H2, but it did not seem to be right with conservation of mass.
M + HCL —> MCl2 (or MCl3, MCl4) + H2
Basically, if the H2 does belong there, then I'd just have to guess MCl2, 3, or 4, then balance the equation, then randomly guess an element right? Seems like a lot of work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sho Kano said:
and obtains 0.427g of the product.
Sho Kano said:
2, 3, or 4, then balance

I can't see anything on your post

MCln is all you need; ignore the H2, and just start cutting and trying.

Bystander said:
MCln is all you need; ignore the H2, and just start cutting and trying.
I'm getting Sm as the unknown metal; is that right?

Samarium? Mental arithmetic checks out.

Bystander said:
Samarium? Mental arithmetic checks out.
Awesome. What happens to the hydrogen though?

Sho Kano said:
What happens to the hydrogen though?
It "fizzes" away up the chimney/hood/exhaust system.

Bystander said:
It "fizzes" away up the chimney/hood/exhaust system.
I mean why is it not represented in the chemical equation

"M" + nHCl = (n/2)H2 + "M"Cln; it is.

Hydrogen is present in the reaction equation and we can even easily calculate its amount. We just ignore it as it is not necessary for solving the problem (just like the amount of HCl doesn't matter, as long as there is enough of it).

The only part of the equation that matters is

Sm → SmCl3

It preserves the only important information here - stoichiometric ratio between Sm and SmCl3. When solving this particular problem everything else is just a noise.

Related to Stoichiometry: Identify the metal and formula of it

1. What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is the study of the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

2. How do you identify the metal in a compound using stoichiometry?

The metal in a compound can be identified by determining its molar mass and comparing it to the molar mass of known elements. This can be done through various methods, such as titration or gravimetric analysis.

3. What is the formula of a compound and how is it determined using stoichiometry?

The formula of a compound is the representation of the elements present in a molecule and their respective ratios. It is determined using stoichiometry by balancing the chemical equation and using the mole ratios to determine the correct formula.

4. Can stoichiometry be used to determine the amount of product produced in a reaction?

Yes, stoichiometry can be used to calculate the amount of product produced in a reaction by using the mole ratios from a balanced chemical equation and the given amount of reactants.

5. Are there any limitations to using stoichiometry to identify metals and their formulas?

There are limitations to using stoichiometry in identifying metals and their formulas. These include experimental errors, incomplete reactions, and the presence of impurities in the reactants.