Stoichiometry Did I work this problem correctly?

In summary: Your steps are good in the oxalate analysis.You only are trying to make a simple dilution for the HCl 12M to 0.600M exercise. use a variable to represent the volume of water to add. You already know that the MOLES of HCl will not change. Next you want to try to create the equation ... You will need to use that variable somewhere. The variable is to be used in a denominator. Why not in a numerator?I did not actually check your result in the HCl example; I only vaguely described what you can do to solve the problem. I like to arrange an equation using a variable for problems like that one
bedizzy
Stoichiometry... Did I work this problem correctly?

1. We dissolve 3.778 grams of a sample that contains some sodium oxalate, Na2C2O4, in water and acidify the solution with excess sulfuric acid. The sample requires 18.74 mL of 0.08395 M KMnO4, potassium permanganate, for complete reaction according to the reaction below. What is the percent Na2C2O4 in the sample? Assume that no other component reacts with the potassium permanganate.

8H2SO4 + 2KMnO4 + 5Na2C2O4 --> 8H2O + 2MnSO4 + 10CO2 + 5Na2SO4 + K2SO4

My solution:

.01874 L * 0.08395 M KMnO4 = 0.001573223 mols KMnO4

0.001573223 * (5 mols Na2C2O4/2 mols KMnO4)
= .0039330575 mols Na2C2O4

.0039330575 * (116.04 g) * (100/3.778 g) = 12.08 %

(1 mol Na2C2O4 = 116.04 g)

I didn't round any numbers until the final answer. Does this look correct? If not where do you see an error? Thanks in advance for checking...

Physics news on Phys.org

And if it's not too much can you check this one too:1. How many mL of water must be added to 5.00 mL of 12.0 M HCl to prepare a hydrochloric acid solution that is 0.600 M? Assume that the volumes are additive.My solution:

(.00500 L * 12.0 M HCl)/(0.600 M) = .1 L = 100. mL

Your steps are good in the oxalate analysis.

You only are trying to make a simple dilution for the HCl 12M to 0.600M exercise. use a variable to represent the volume of water to add. You already know that the MOLES of HCl will not change. Next you want to try to create the equation ... You will need to use that variable somewhere. The variable is to be used in a denominator. Why not in a numerator?

I did not actually check your result in the HCl example; I only vaguely described what you can do to solve the problem. I like to arrange an equation using a variable for problems like that one.

thanks for the feedback, this is my rationale for setting up the problem the way I did:

V1M1 = V2M2

(.00500 * 12.0 M HCl) = (.600 M * V2)

divide both sides by .600 M

V2 = (.00500 * 12. M HCl)/(.600 M)

V2 = 100. mL

bedizzy said:
thanks for the feedback, this is my rationale for setting up the problem the way I did:

V1M1 = V2M2

(.00500 * 12.0 M HCl) = (.600 M * V2)

divide both sides by .600 M

V2 = (.00500 * 12. M HCl)/(.600 M)

V2 = 100. mL

Yes, that is a good way to do it. It is not like my "use variable for volume to add" suggestion, but your method looks good. Notice your final volume will be 100 ml. So, how much volume was added to the initial 5 ml. of solution?

Related to Stoichiometry Did I work this problem correctly?

1. What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

2. How do you calculate the reactant to product ratio in a chemical reaction?

The reactant to product ratio can be calculated by using the coefficients of the balanced chemical equation. The coefficients represent the number of moles of each substance involved in the reaction.

3. What is the purpose of stoichiometry in chemistry?

The purpose of stoichiometry is to determine the amount of products that will be produced in a chemical reaction based on the amount of reactants present. It also helps in predicting the amount of reactants needed to produce a desired amount of product.

4. How do I know if I have correctly solved a stoichiometry problem?

To check if you have correctly solved a stoichiometry problem, you can follow these steps:

• Check if the equation is balanced.
  • Calculate the number of moles of each substance involved in the reaction.
  • Use the coefficients of the balanced equation to calculate the reactant to product ratio.
  • Check if your final answer is in the correct units.
  • Compare your answer with the expected answer or the answer provided in the question.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving stoichiometry problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving stoichiometry problems include:

• Not balancing the chemical equation properly.
  • Using incorrect units or forgetting to convert units when necessary.
  • Misinterpreting the problem or using incorrect values.
  • Not following the correct order of operations.
  • Forgetting to account for the molar mass of each substance.