Stochastic Taylor's Expansion (Ito Rule)

In summary: For a continuous function $f:\mathbb{R}_+\rightarrow\mathbb{R}$, if $f(x)$ is analytic around x=0$, then the following equation holds: $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{t} f(\{W(s)\}\ d W(s)) = \frac{1}{t+1}\ W^{t+1} (t) - \frac{t}{2}\ \int_{0}^{t} f(\{W(s)\}\ d s)$.
gnob
Good day.

For $k\geq0$ a continuous function on $\mathbb{R}_+$ and $\{W_t\}$ a standard Brownian motion, could you help me find the Taylor's expansion of the following exponential: $e^{-\int_0^t k(s) dW_s}.$

For the case where $e^{-k W_t}$ where $k>0$ is a constant, I was able to recompute its Taylor's expansion as
$$
e^{-k W_t} = 1 - k\int_0^t e^{-kW_s}dW_s + \frac{1}{2}k^2\int_0^t e^{-kW_s}ds.
$$
But in the first exponential above, we have an integral exponent with a nonconstant $k,$ but a function. Please help me on this.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
gnob said:
Good day.

For $k\geq0$ a continuous function on $\mathbb{R}_+$ and $\{W_t\}$ a standard Brownian motion, could you help me find the Taylor's expansion of the following exponential: $e^{-\int_0^t k(s) dW_s}.$

For the case where $e^{-k W_t}$ where $k>0$ is a constant, I was able to recompute its Taylor's expansion as
$$
e^{-k W_t} = 1 - k\int_0^t e^{-kW_s}dW_s + \frac{1}{2}k^2\int_0^t e^{-kW_s}ds.
$$
But in the first exponential above, we have an integral exponent with a nonconstant $k,$ but a function. Please help me on this.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Honestly I'm not sure to give the correct answer to the question but if we consider a stochastic integral like...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{t} f \{W(s)\}\ d W(s)\ (1)$

... if f(x) is analytic around x=0, i.e. is...

$\displaystyle f \{W(s)\} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_{n}\ W^{n} (s)\ (2)$

... then the following formula can be applied...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{t} W^{n}(s)\ d W (s) = \frac{1}{n+1}\ W^{n+1} (t) - \frac{n}{2}\ \int_{0}^{t} W^{n-1} (s)\ d s\ (3)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Stochastic Taylor's Expansion (Ito Rule)

1. What is Stochastic Taylor's Expansion (Ito Rule)?

Stochastic Taylor's Expansion, also known as Ito Rule, is a mathematical tool used in stochastic calculus to approximate the value of a stochastic process. It is an extension of the regular Taylor's Expansion, but takes into account the random or stochastic nature of the process.

2. How is Stochastic Taylor's Expansion (Ito Rule) different from regular Taylor's Expansion?

The main difference between Stochastic Taylor's Expansion and regular Taylor's Expansion is that Ito Rule accounts for the random or stochastic nature of a process, while regular Taylor's Expansion assumes a deterministic process. This makes Stochastic Taylor's Expansion more suitable for analyzing and predicting the behavior of stochastic processes.

3. What are the applications of Stochastic Taylor's Expansion (Ito Rule)?

Stochastic Taylor's Expansion (Ito Rule) has many applications in various fields such as physics, finance, and biology. It is used to model and analyze stochastic processes, predict the behavior of financial markets, and understand the dynamics of biological systems.

4. What are the limitations of Stochastic Taylor's Expansion (Ito Rule)?

One limitation of Stochastic Taylor's Expansion is that it is only valid for processes with certain characteristics, such as being continuous and having finite moments. It also requires the process to have a well-defined derivative, which may not always be the case for complex stochastic processes.

5. How is Stochastic Taylor's Expansion (Ito Rule) used in finance?

In finance, Stochastic Taylor's Expansion is used to model and predict the behavior of financial assets, such as stock prices and interest rates. It is used in option pricing models, risk management, and portfolio optimization. It also plays a crucial role in the development of stochastic calculus and the Black-Scholes model for option pricing.