Still am having trouble with titration

• Thread starter westdavi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a buffer solution with a pH of 4.6 using two bottles of solutions - 1M HAc and 1M NaOH. The speaker, who teaches high school chemistry, is unsure of how to solve the problem and asks for more clarification. They also mention that the question may be beyond the scope of their course. The other person responds with a more detailed explanation in a previous post.
westdavi
Thank you for responding, but I am not sure how to solve this yet. I am sorry. Could you show me a more of the work needed? I teach high school chemistry, and it is beginning to look like the question is beyond the scope of the course, but now I am curious how to solve it.
Anyways, thanks for your help regardless
David Westra
You have two bottles, one filled with 1M HAc (HAc = acetic acid) and one filled with 1M NaOH. You want to make 100ml of a buffer with pH=4.6 by mixing together appropriate amounts of these solutions. How much of each solution do you use?

Physics news on Phys.org
I edited my reply to make it more detailed in your other post. Hope that helps.

Hello David,

I am sorry to hear that you are still having trouble with titration. It can be a difficult concept to grasp, but with practice and guidance, I am sure you will get the hang of it.

In regards to the question you have provided, I understand your concern about it potentially being beyond the scope of your high school chemistry course. However, it is always beneficial to challenge ourselves and learn new things, so I encourage you to try and solve it.

To solve this titration problem, you will need to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which relates the pH of a buffer solution to the pKa of the weak acid and the concentrations of the acid and its conjugate base. In this case, the weak acid is acetic acid (HAc) and its conjugate base is acetate (Ac-).

The first step is to determine the pKa of acetic acid, which is 4.76. Next, using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, you can plug in the given pH of 4.6, the pKa of 4.76, and the desired buffer volume of 100ml. This will give you the ratio of [Ac-]:[HAc] needed to achieve a buffer with a pH of 4.6.

Once you have this ratio, you can then calculate the amount of each solution needed to achieve the desired concentrations. Since the solutions are both 1M, you can use the formula C1V1 = C2V2 to determine the volumes of each solution needed.

I hope this explanation has helped and provided you with a starting point to solve the problem. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out. Best of luck in your studies!

Sincerely,

Related to Still am having trouble with titration

1. What is titration and why is it important in science?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution. It involves adding a known amount of a reagent to a solution until a specific reaction occurs, and the amount of reagent used is used to calculate the concentration of the unknown substance. It is important in science because it allows for precise and accurate measurements of concentrations, which are crucial in many experiments and industries.

2. What are some common challenges when performing titrations?

Some common challenges when performing titrations include inaccurate measurements of reagents, errors in recording data, and difficulties in identifying the end-point of the titration. Other challenges may arise due to impurities in the solutions or variations in environmental conditions.

3. How can I improve my titration technique?

To improve your titration technique, make sure to carefully calibrate and measure your equipment, accurately record data, and practice identifying the end-point of the titration. It is also important to minimize environmental factors that may affect the results, such as temperature and humidity.

4. What are some safety precautions to consider when performing titrations?

Some safety precautions to consider when performing titrations include wearing appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, to avoid contact with chemicals. It is also important to handle solutions carefully and properly dispose of them after the experiment. Familiarizing yourself with the safety data sheets of the chemicals being used is also recommended.

5. What are some alternative methods to titration?

Some alternative methods to titration include spectroscopy, which uses light absorption to determine concentrations, and chromatography, which separates substances based on their physical and chemical properties. Other methods such as electrochemical analysis and gravimetric analysis may also be used depending on the specific experiment or industry.