STFC Funding for EU Student to do phd in UK

In summary, the conversation is discussing the eligibility for EU nationals to receive funding for PhD studentships in the UK. It is mentioned that for those who are resident in the UK or "connected" to the UK, full funding is provided for university fees and living expenses. For other EU nationals, funding is limited to tuition fees only. There is also a discussion about changes in regulations and the definition of "ordinarily resident" for EU students.
jbunten
Is this very recent? can you post a link?

from York Uni website:

European Union Nationals
EPSRC/STFC PhD Studentships are also open to all EU nationals. For those resident in, or “connected” to, the UK, these studentships provide full funding of University fees and the stipend to cover living expenses. For other EU nationals, EPSRC’s current regulations require the studentships to be held on a fees-only basis (i.e. without a stipend). The Graduate Office estimated that your living costs would be about £9500 per year and would require evidence that you can cover this before your application can be processed.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am currently an EU student at university in the UK doing an MPhys, I'm in the UK for the purpose of being a full time student, so If I do a phd will I be eligible for a full stipend? does anyone have a similar situation? thanks in advance.

This came from the regulations on STFC's website: http://www.scitech.ac.uk/Grants/Studs/studentships.aspx

Candidates from EU countries other than the UK, are generally eligible (subject to their eligibility on grounds of academic qualifications) for awards restricted to the payment of tuition fees only; no maintenance award will be payable. In order to be eligible for a 'fees only' award, a candidate must be ordinarily resident in a member state of the EU, in the same way as UK candidates must be ordinarily resident in the UK.

Currently, the member states of the European Union (EU) are as follows: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, The Irish Republic (Eire), Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, The Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden and the United Kingdom.

jbunten said:
Is this very recent? can you post a link?
Yes. See the link I posted in your other thread.

Hi, thanks for the post in the other thread, It seems to suggest that students from the EU who have not been living in the UK for at least 3 years will not be entitled to a maintenance grant, fees only, so what you posted above isn't quite correct.

After some research I found that what has recently changed (2005 onwards) is that from now on 3 years for the scope of being a full time student still count towards that residence status.

jbunten said:
Hi, thanks for the post in the other thread, It seems to suggest that students from the EU who have not been living in the UK for at least 3 years will not be entitled to a maintenance grant, fees only, so what you posted above isn't quite correct.

What did I post above- that there are some studentships available for graduate study for international students? This is correct-- there are studentships from places other than STFC and the research councils (my college has college studentships, to pay a stipend to those students who are EU citizens, and who only get their tuition fees paid by STFC).

I'm moving these posts to your thread, since the OP here is asking about undergraduate studies.

Related to STFC Funding for EU Student to do phd in UK

1. What is STFC funding?

STFC stands for Science and Technology Facilities Council. It is one of the UK's seven research councils that fund and support scientific research in a variety of areas including astronomy, particle physics, and nuclear physics.

2. Who is eligible for STFC funding for a PhD in UK?

STFC funding is available for UK and EU students who meet certain criteria, including having settled status in the UK, or having lived in the UK for at least three years prior to the start of the PhD. International students may also be eligible for funding if they have been residing in the UK for at least three years prior to the start of the PhD.

3. How do I apply for STFC funding for a PhD in UK?

To apply for STFC funding, you must first secure a place on a PhD program at a UK university. Then, you can apply for funding through the university's application process. You may also need to provide additional documents, such as proof of residency or academic transcripts.

4. What expenses does STFC funding cover?

STFC funding typically covers tuition fees, a stipend for living expenses, and research expenses related to the PhD. However, the exact amount and coverage may vary depending on the university and specific program. It is important to carefully review the funding guidelines and speak with the university's financial aid office for more information.

5. Are there any restrictions for STFC funding for EU students?

As of 2021, there are no restrictions for EU students to receive STFC funding for a PhD in the UK. However, with the UK's departure from the European Union, it is important to regularly check for any updates or changes to funding eligibility for EU students.