Stern-gerlach with hydrogen atoms

In summary: The system has a total magnetic moment, which is the sum of a large part (from the electron) and a small part (from the proton).
cragar
I was looking through a physics book that has the answers in the back.
this is not homework. It asks about a neutral beam of hydrogen atoms going into a strong non-constant B field. It asks how many ways will the beam split. It says the answer is 2.
Why is the answer not 3. spin 1, spin 0, spin -1. if we consider the spin of the proton and the spin of the electron. we should have 3 cases. both spin up, both spin down, and then opposite spins.

Physics news on Phys.org
Compare the magnetic moments of electron and proton. One of them is negligible.

I see the formula for the the magnetic moment has the mass in the denominator, so it will be a lot smaller for the proton. But why can't I consider the magnetic moment of the whole atom and for the mass term use the mass of the hydrogen atom. Because the electron and proton are one connected system.

Because the electron and proton are one connected system.
Yes, and the system has one spin, but this spin is the sum of two parts - a large part and a tiny part.

I would say rather that the system has a total magnetic moment, which is the sum of a large part (from the electron) and a small part (from the proton). For magnetic interactions, what directly matters is the magnetic moment, not the spin. The magnetic moment of a particle depends on the spin, of course, but it also depends on other factors.

cragar said:
I see the formula for the the magnetic moment has the mass in the denominator, so it will be a lot smaller for the proton. But why can't I consider the magnetic moment of the whole atom and for the mass term use the mass of the hydrogen atom. Because the electron and proton are one connected system.

Magnetic effect on the electron is much larger than the magnetic interaction between the electron and proton. Consequently, the electron and proton are no longer one system.

Related to Stern-gerlach with hydrogen atoms

1. What is the Stern-Gerlach experiment with hydrogen atoms?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment with hydrogen atoms is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the quantization of spin angular momentum. In this experiment, a beam of hydrogen atoms is passed through a magnetic field, which causes the atoms to split into two distinct paths due to their intrinsic spin properties.

2. What is the significance of the Stern-Gerlach experiment with hydrogen atoms?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment with hydrogen atoms helped to prove the existence of quantized spin angular momentum, which is a fundamental property of subatomic particles. This experiment also provided evidence for the concept of spin states, which has important implications in quantum mechanics.

3. How does the Stern-Gerlach experiment with hydrogen atoms work?

In the Stern-Gerlach experiment with hydrogen atoms, a beam of hydrogen atoms is passed through a non-uniform magnetic field. The atoms have a magnetic moment due to their spin, and when they enter the magnetic field, they experience a force that is dependent on their spin orientation. This results in the atoms splitting into two paths, with one path having atoms with a positive spin and the other path having atoms with a negative spin.

4. What are the applications of the Stern-Gerlach experiment with hydrogen atoms?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment with hydrogen atoms has been used in various applications, such as studying the properties of subatomic particles, understanding the behavior of magnetic materials, and developing technologies like magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and spintronics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Stern-Gerlach experiment with hydrogen atoms?

One limitation of the Stern-Gerlach experiment with hydrogen atoms is that it only works for atoms with a non-zero magnetic moment, such as hydrogen. It cannot be applied to particles like electrons, which do not have a magnetic moment. Additionally, the experiment is affected by external factors, such as temperature and magnetic field strength, which can alter the results.