Stern-Gerlach experiment with electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using an electric field instead of a magnetic field in the Stern-Gerlach experiment, and whether this would be effective in separating different ions or particles. It is concluded that using an electric field would not be effective in separating charged particles, and that particles with a permanent electric dipole moment would be necessary for the experiment. It is also noted that photons do not interact with electric fields in a significant way.
superduke1200
Hello everyone,

I was re-studying some issues that I wanted to repeat in magnetism and the moment I saw the stern gerlach experiment again, I came up with a question: what would happen if we kept this experiment exactly the same, but this time we used electric field only, instead of magnetic field? More specifically which would be the outcome if we used neutral atoms? Electrons? Photons? Ions? Would we be able to separate different ions like Ag3+ from Ag2+? And finally can we separate ions with a normal ( with normal I mean by using magnetic field only ) stern gerlach experiment?

Physics news on Phys.org
Separating ions of different charge has nothing to do with the idea of the Stern-Gerlach experiment.
Charged particles will just get deflected according to their charge.

You would need particles with a permanent electric dipole moment for the experiment. Unfortunately, I think polarizability will always win over that, if the inhomogeneous field is strong enough to see any deflection of neutral particles at all.

Photons do not interact with an electric field in any relevant way.

Thanks a lot for the response. In general terms that was my initial thought as well

Related to Stern-Gerlach experiment with electric field

1. What is the Stern-Gerlach experiment with electric field?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment with electric field is a physics experiment that demonstrates the quantization of angular momentum in atoms. It involves passing a beam of atoms through a non-uniform electric field and observing the deflection of the atoms.

2. How does the Stern-Gerlach experiment with electric field work?

In the experiment, a beam of neutral atoms is created and then passed through a non-uniform electric field. The electric field causes the atoms to experience a force that is dependent on their magnetic moment, which is determined by their angular momentum. This results in the atoms being deflected in different directions, showing that their angular momentum is quantized.

3. What is the significance of the Stern-Gerlach experiment with electric field?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment with electric field provided evidence for the existence of quantized angular momentum in atoms, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It also demonstrated that atoms have intrinsic magnetic moments, which plays a crucial role in understanding atomic and molecular structure.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Stern-Gerlach experiment with electric field?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment with electric field has been used in numerous applications, such as in the development of atomic clocks and in the study of magnetic materials. It has also been used to confirm the predictions of quantum mechanics and to test the limits of classical physics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Stern-Gerlach experiment with electric field?

While the Stern-Gerlach experiment with electric field has been a valuable tool in understanding quantum mechanics, it does have some limitations. For example, it only works with neutral atoms and cannot be used to study charged particles. Additionally, the presence of external magnetic or electric fields can affect the results of the experiment, making it important to carefully control the experimental conditions.