Stern-gerlach experiment. problem

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving Ψ and Ω and finding the state of the spin after passing through an apparatus. The person asking for help is unsure of the solution and asks for clarification. The expert suggests reading the problem carefully for more information.
dongwoo

Homework Statement

17759852_1356311227787112_4401473265822609018_n.jpg

problem no.3

Homework Equations

<ΨㅣΩㅣΨ>

The Attempt at a Solution

I used <ΨㅣΩㅣΨ> and but I don't find solution

lΨ(t)>=?

I need help...

Physics news on Phys.org
dongwoo said:
I used <ΨㅣΩㅣΨ> and but I don't find solution

lΨ(t)>=?
You'll have to give more details than that. Also, what is Ω?

I can however tell you that you seem to be going in the wrong direction. You don't actually need |Ψ(t)>, but rather |ψ> at the different parts of the apparatus.

DrClaude said:
You'll have to give more details than that. Also, what is Ω?

I can however tell you that you seem to be going in the wrong direction. You don't actually need |Ψ(t)>, but rather |ψ> at the different parts of the apparatus.

oh,
Ω, I put Sx in the above image. and do i really have to put | ψ>? I was worried about the problem all day... i need u're help oh god

I think that the conditions are not enough for the above problems.

So, what is the state of the spin, after coming out of the first SG apparatus?

DrClaude said:
So, what is the state of the spin, after coming out of the first SG apparatus?
In general, the value of the experiment, of course, does not come up with the quantized upper and lower lines?

Read the text of the problem. It should be pretty clear what is the state of the spin after coming out of the first SG as described in the problem.

DrClaude said:
Read the text of the problem. It should be pretty clear what is the state of the spin after coming out of the first SG as described in the problem.
Thank you for your kind help. Some clues have been caught.

Related to Stern-gerlach experiment. problem

1. What is the Stern-Gerlach Experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach Experiment is a physics experiment that was first conducted in 1922 by Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach. It is used to demonstrate the quantum mechanical behavior of subatomic particles, specifically the intrinsic spin of these particles.

2. How does the Stern-Gerlach Experiment work?

The experiment involves passing a beam of particles, typically silver atoms, through an inhomogeneous magnetic field. The field causes the particles to split into two beams, each with a different spin direction. This split is known as the "spin up" and "spin down" states.

3. What is the significance of the Stern-Gerlach Experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach Experiment was one of the first experiments to provide evidence for the concept of quantum spin. It also helped to confirm the existence of quantized angular momentum, a key concept in quantum mechanics.

4. What is the "problem" in the Stern-Gerlach Experiment?

The "problem" in the Stern-Gerlach Experiment refers to the observation that the two beams of particles do not follow classical physics predictions. Instead, they are split into discrete states, which can only be explained by quantum mechanics.

5. How does the Stern-Gerlach Experiment relate to the quantum world?

The Stern-Gerlach Experiment is a classic example of the strange and counterintuitive behavior of particles at the quantum level. It shows that particles can have discrete states and properties, rather than existing as continuous objects. This experiment played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the quantum world.