Stern-Gerlach experiment Problem

In summary: It's not a matter of intensity. If the electron flux is the same in all four cases, then what do you think should be the same in all four graphs?
BREAD

Homework Statement

upload_2017-3-22_22-15-38.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) : There is no interference. (b) : Interference

And i don't know how to approach (c), (d)
upload_2017-3-22_22-15-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-22_22-15-31.png
    upload_2017-3-22_22-15-31.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
BREAD said:
And i don't know how to approach (c), (d)
Consider the wavefunctions in each case and the probability distribution at the screen that they entail.

kuruman said:
Consider the wavefunctions in each case and the probability distribution at the screen that they entail.
(c) is just sum of l+> + l-> so the answer is same with (b), and i don't know if there is interference between l+> and l+>

BREAD said:
is just sum of l+> + l->
In case (c), if you were to measure an electron's spin with another Stern-Gerlach machine, would you be able to tell through which slit the electron emerged?
What about if you did the same with an electron in case (d)?

kuruman said:
In case (c), if you were to measure an electron's spin with another Stern-Gerlach machine, would you be able to tell through which slit the electron emerged?
What about if you did the same with an electron in case (d)?
I think , in case of (c) , there would be same amount of electron goes through each slit.

BREAD said:
think , in case of (c) , there would be same amount of electron goes through each slit.
My question to you was not about amounts of electrons.
1. Suppose in case (c) you measured the spin of an electron to the right of the slits and you found it is "up". Would you be able to tell through which slit it went through?
2. Suppose in case (d) you measured the spin of an electron to the right of the slits and you found it is "up". Would you be able to tell through which slit it went through?

kuruman said:
My question to you was not about amounts of electrons.
1. Suppose in case (c) you measured the spin of an electron to the right of the slits and you found it is "up". Would you be able to tell through which slit it went through?
2. Suppose in case (d) you measured the spin of an electron to the right of the slits and you found it is "up". Would you be able to tell through which slit it went through?

up spin go through upper slit

and in (d), up spin would be found in both slits

So in (c) you know through which slit the electrons have passed through, but in (d) you do not know. Can you put it together now in view of your answers in (a) and (b) and what you know about quantum interference?

kuruman said:
So in (c) you know through which slit the electrons have passed through, but in (d) you do not know. Can you put it together now in view of your answers in (a) and (b) and what you know about quantum interference?

I think in (c), upper slit ( + ) and lower slit ( - ) will interfere each other, and similarly, upper slit (+) and lower slit(+) will interfere each other in (d).
Or do i have to focus on that l+> and l-> are independent each other, so there are no interfere between l+> and l-> ??

I think i get it , this is my answer
upload_2017-3-24_22-10-34.png

But, is it right that i have to draw a half intensity in (c),(d) compared to (a),(b)

BREAD said:
But, is it right that i have to draw a half intensity in (c),(d) compared to (a),(b)
It's not a matter of intensity. If the electron flux is the same in all four cases, then what do you think should be the same in all four graphs?

Related to Stern-Gerlach experiment Problem

What is the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is a landmark experiment in quantum physics that was first conducted in 1922 by Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach. It demonstrated the quantization of angular momentum and the existence of spin in subatomic particles.

What is the problem with the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The main problem with the Stern-Gerlach experiment is that it cannot be fully explained by classical mechanics. The behavior of subatomic particles in the experiment is best understood using the principles of quantum mechanics.

What were the results of the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The results of the Stern-Gerlach experiment showed that the beam of silver atoms was split into two distinct paths, with one path representing particles with spin up and the other representing particles with spin down. This demonstrated the quantization of angular momentum and the existence of spin in subatomic particles.

What is the significance of the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is significant because it provided strong evidence for the quantization of angular momentum and the existence of spin in subatomic particles. It also played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the behavior of particles at the atomic level.

How does the Stern-Gerlach experiment relate to quantum mechanics?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is a key experiment in quantum mechanics because it demonstrates the wave-particle duality of subatomic particles and the probabilistic nature of their behavior. It also shows that the behavior of particles at the quantum level cannot be fully explained by classical mechanics.