Stereo indicator light in FM radio

In summary, the stereo light in an analog FM radio turns on when the 19 kHz subcarrier is detected through a series of mixing and frequency doubling processes. This subcarrier is modulated with the L - R signal, which is then added to the L + R baseband and combined to frequency modulate the carrier. On the receive side, the 19 kHz carrier is frequency doubled and used to recover the L - R signal, causing the red light to come on. This process allows for compatibility with monaural FM and ensures that both left and right channels are lined up before the stereo light turns on.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

How does the stereo light in an analog FM radio turn on when you tune into a stereo station?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that radio tuners work on the concept of resonance. Current and voltage levels spike up at and near the resonant frequency of a circuit.

My initial assumption would be that there is some kind of switching mechanism that when the voltage or current hits a certain level (at resonance), the switch is flipped and the light is turned on.

In newer radios, I'm assuming the switching would be done by a transistor, but what was used in the older analog radios to turn on the stereo light?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the circuit determines that both channels have a signal before the light is turned on meaning you now have the left and right channels lined up.

jedishrfu said:
I think the circuit determines that both channels have a signal before the light is turned on meaning you now have the left and right channels lined up.

So does a stereo station actually transmit two separate frequencies and then the radio has two separate tuners and when both are in a condition of resonance, the voltage levels are enough to turn on the stereo indicator light?

When Broadcast FM was first created, it was monaural. Sometime later when stereo FM was invented, it needed to be compatible with monaural FM. With stereo FM, the Left + Right channels are transmitted in baseband (100 Hz to 15 kHz) thus making it compatible with monaural, and the L - R is modulated on a 38 kHz subcarrier. The L - R signal is detected from the subcarrier. When L + R and L - R are added together you get the left channel and when one of the two is inverted and the two are added, you get L + R plus -L + R or the right channel.

The red light comes on when the 38 kHz subcarrier is detected. A high school student once told me that he was station engineer for his high school's monaural FM station. He understood everything I described above and added a 38 kHz subcarrier to the signal (unmodulated) and the red light came on in the instructor's receiver. The instructor was intrigued knowing the FM signal was monaural.

"The right light comes on when the 38 kHz subcarrier is detected."

When you say "detected," what does that mean exactly? Is there a voltage rise that is set off when this subcarrier is detected?

You must have seen the "right light" before I corrected it.

I believe the 38 kHz subcarrier is amplitude modulated before being added to the audio which frequency modulates the carrier. After the composite FM carrier is discriminated, the 38 kHz subcarrier exists again as an amplitude modulated carrier. It must be filtered to reject the baseband audio and then the audio recovered with a typical AM detector. Yes, after AM detection, there will be a DC rise in voltage that is attributable to the 38 kHz subcarrier. This rise in voltage will fluctuate with the L - R signal but it will be higher than if there were no 38 kHz subcarrier.

skeptic is right but the carrier transmitted is actually at 19kHz (the L-R component *is* modulated up to 38kHz) in order to keep it better separated from the L+R and L-R bands.

The 19kHz carrier is detected with a narrow band filter (which could be used to light up a stereo indicator) and its frequency is doubled to 38kHz in order to demodulate the L-R band at 38kHz.

I must correct what I've posted. The 38 kHz is not transmitted. Instead the L - R signal is double sideband modulated on a 38 kHz subcarrier with a balanced mixer. This means that only the sidebands minus carrier are transmitted. The 38 kHz subcarrier is then frequency halved to 19 kHz. L + R baseband, the 19 kHz subcarrier and the 38 kHz double sideband signal are all combined and frequency modulate the carrier.

On the receive side the 19 kHz carrier is frequency doubled, injected into the 38 kHz double sideband, the L - R signal is recovered. The red light come on when the 19 kHz subcarrier is detected.

Related to Stereo indicator light in FM radio

1. What is the purpose of the stereo indicator light in FM radio?

The stereo indicator light in FM radio is used to indicate when a stereo signal is being received. This allows the listener to know if they are receiving a high-quality stereo sound or a lower-quality mono sound.

2. How does the stereo indicator light work?

The stereo indicator light works by detecting the presence of the stereo pilot tone, which is a specific frequency that is added to the audio signal for stereo broadcasting. When the pilot tone is detected, the light will turn on, indicating a stereo signal is being received.

3. Can the stereo indicator light be turned off?

Yes, some FM radios have the option to turn off the stereo indicator light. This is usually done through a switch or button on the radio itself. However, it is recommended to keep the light on to ensure you are receiving a stereo signal.

4. What does it mean if the stereo indicator light is flickering?

If the stereo indicator light is flickering, it could mean that the signal being received is weak or there is interference. This can result in a loss of stereo sound quality or even switching to mono sound. It is recommended to adjust the antenna or move closer to the radio station to improve the signal.

5. Is the stereo indicator light necessary for listening to FM radio?

No, the stereo indicator light is not necessary for listening to FM radio. It is simply a helpful indicator to ensure you are receiving a stereo signal. If the light is not present on your radio, you can still listen to FM stations in stereo by adjusting the settings or using another source to check for stereo sound.